This post may contain affiliate links.
Hamburger Hobo Dinner Foil Packs are just downright delicious! Whether you’re cooking this meat and potato dish on the grill, a campfire, or in the oven, these flavorful packages are sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Foil pack dinners are destined to become one of your favorite ways to cook since they are easy to make, can be prepared in advance and as a bonus, clean up is virtually nonexistent.
If you’ve never given foil pack cooking a try, fear not! I’ve got your back with this simple and delicious dinner recipe. My family adores Cheesy Ranch Potatoes and Sausage and Potatoes cooked in foil packets, so adding a burger to the lineup was a no-brainer.
Customizing the packets with everyone’s favorite ingredients is a breeze, which is especially great for picky eaters. These foil packs are super easy to make and can be cooked in the oven, on the grill, or on a campfire. How fun and delicious is this?
Ingredients Needed To Make Hamburger Hobo Dinner Foil Packs
- Hamburger Patties
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
Tips For Making Foil Pack Dinners
- Pick the star of the show. What I mean is you first need to pick a protein. You can choose from beef, chicken, seafood or pork. Whatever suits your fancy.
- Add in some veggies. I like to use seasonal vegetables from my local farmer’s market.
- Season, season, season! This is where you can get creative. I love using my homemade House Seasoning and Montreal Steak Seasoning. These easy-to-make blends are great to have on hand for meats and veggies.
- Make sure to add some fat. I lightly coat the foil with cooking spray before I build my dinner packs. I also add-in either butter or olive oil to give extra flavor and to help the food stay juicy.
- Use heavy-duty aluminum foil. If you don’t have heavy-duty foil, use a double thickness of regular aluminum foil.
People Often Ask…
To preheat the grill, set it to medium heat and let it warm up for about 10-15 minutes. This ensures even cooking and prevents the foil packs from burning.
Absolutely! To cook the foil packs in the oven, preheat it to 400°F (200°C) and place the foil packets on a baking sheet. Cook them for approximately the same amount of time as on the grill, checking for doneness.
Generally, foil packs take around 30 minutes to cook on the grill or in the oven. To check for doneness, carefully open one of the packets, ensuring not to burn yourself with the steam, and use a fork to test the tenderness of the meat and vegetables.
Yes! Foil pack cooking is highly versatile, so feel free to swap in your preferred proteins, such as chicken or fish, and your favorite vegetables to customize the meal to your liking.
Using a non-stick cooking spray, like Pam Original Cooking Spray, on the inside of the aluminum foil before adding your ingredients will help prevent sticking. Additionally, make sure the grill or oven is preheated to ensure even cooking and prevent sticking.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love…
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high heat. Tear heavy duty tin foil into 4 pieces approximately 15 X 12 inches. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- While the grill is heating, divide the ground beef into ¼ pound portions and form into patties. Slice potatoes about ¼ inch rounds. Peel and slice carrots. Slice onion.
- To build dinner packets, place 3 to 4 slices of potato on the coated foil. Divide onions and carrots between 4 packs and layer over potatoes. Place hamburger patties on top of the veggies. Place 1.5 teaspoons of butter on top of the patty. Sprinkle with 1.5 teaspoons of Montreal Seasoning. Fold foil over ingredients then seal middle and ends
- To cook on the grill: Place packets on grates, seam side down and cook for 10 minutes. Turn and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- To cook in the oven: Heat oven to 400. Place packets on the oven rack seam side down and cook for 10 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- ***Oven temperatures vary so check for doneness before serving.
- Remove packets from grill or oven and carefully open. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.