Inspired by the original steak seasoning blend sold in stores, this homemade version is simple to make and easy on your budget. Even better, my “Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning” has much less salt than the packaged blend putting you in control of the flavors you like best. It’s great on meats, poultry, fish and veggies!
For years, Montreal Steak Seasoning has been one of my favorite spice blends to use when cooking. I’ve kept a container in my spice cabinet and used it in countless dishes. From time to time, I’ve thought about making my own blend but never really did anything about it until a few weeks ago when I ran out. With some beautiful chicken breasts ready to be seasoned and grilled, I was in a predicament, so making my own “steak seasoning” was the obvious solution.
The main flavors in my blend are heavy on the pepper, both black pepper corns and dried red chili flakes. I also used mustard and dill seeds to give it more texture as in the original seasoning. Once I gathered all my spices, it was time for the fun to begin. Since I was working with whole seeds that needed to be crushed so as to release all their flavor, I needed some handy kitchen equipment to help with this process. I used two zip top bags, one placed inside the other and my trusty cast iron skillet. I loaded the bags with the peppercorns, red pepper, mustard and dill seeds then got busy. The cast iron made easy work crushing all of the seeds and in no time, I had pulverized everything down to the texture I wanted. I did find that there were a few mustard seeds that had escaped my wrath so I used a “muddler” to smash up what was left.
After all the “hard work” was done, I added the finer ground spices, mixed everything together, sprinkled it on my chicken and got to grilling. WOW! The flavor I experienced was totally different than I had expected and it was awesome! I fully disclose that the taste is different that the original Montreal Steak Seasoning. It’s much bolder and spicier. I like that about it, along with the reduction in salt which I love to control myself. In the long run, this “copycat” version has better flavor and saved me a trip to the store. Whenever those things happen, I consider it a good thing!
Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic chips
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dill seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- Place peppercorns, salt, garlic chips, red pepper flakes, mustard and dill seeds in a plastic bag. Using a heavy object (rolling pen or cast iron skillet) crush all ingredients into a a texture to your liking. Add in remaining ingredients and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- *** To use - sprinkle lightly over meat, poultry, fish and vegetables (approximately 1/4 teaspoon per serving) prior to cooking or grilling. Can be sprinkled on french fries, tater tots and onion rings.
Recipes that are GREAT with Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
- Price: $19.95
- Westinghouse WCG21SSA Select Series Stainless Steel Electric Coffee and Spice Grinder - Amazon Exclusive Price: $16.97 Was: $20.50
- Price: $19.95
- Westinghouse WCG21SSA Select Series Stainless Steel Electric Coffee and Spice Grinder - Amazon ExclusivePrice: $16.97Was: $20.50