Fresh broccoli, roasted with olive oil, nutty Parmesan cheese, and crunchy homemade breadcrumbs might just be the best, most simple side dish ever! Even the pickiest veggie eater will love this toasty version.
If you are one of those people like me, who have been cooking for their family for a while and love veggies, I guess you’ll appreciate where I’m coming from. I grew up around people who could cook…no, kidding, really cook. That’s where I learned to appreciate and love vegetables.
Since I’ve grown up loving veggies, I thought everybody else did too. Then, along came “Mr. I’m Not A Veggie Lover.” Seriously?
I took his dislike of vegetables as a challenge. I committed to coming up with a way to cook veggies that he would like. What did I start with? Broccoli, of course!
After a few years, many recipes, and several cooking methods, I finally found the best way to cook broccoli which made Mr. SS and me happy.
What You Need To Make Roasted Broccoli
- Broccoli – look for bright green heads with firm stems and stalks
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese – grate it yourself for the best flavor
- Breadcrumbs – I make my own using this super easy recipe.
- Garlic – I used a garlic press or grater to make fine pieces
What Makes This Broccoli So Good?
There are 2 things that make this broccoli so delicious.
- Roasting. By cooking the broccoli at a high temperature, the broccoli tips and edges get caramelized and slightly charred.
- Breadcrumbs and Parmesan. These 2 ingredients add even more texture along with a nutty, buttery flavor.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead Of Time?
This recipe really doesn’t lend itself to making ahead of time, but you can do all the prep work. Make the broccoli per the directions up to the point of roasting. Put all the ingredients on the sheet pan and with plastic wrap or foil, then store in the fridge until ready to cook. Take off the cover, place the pan in the oven, and roast.
What To Serve With This Roasted Broccoli
The sky’s the limit when it comes to what this simple, delicious dish can be served with. Here are a few of my favs:
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Sheet Pan Hamburger Steak With Mushrooms and Onions
- Easy Marinated London Broil
- Skillet Chicken Spaghetti
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Meatballs
More Delicious Veggies Recipes You’ll Love!
Last but not least…
- 2 pounds broccoli
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- Cut broccoli into small pieces and place on sheet pan. Drizzle olive oil over broccoli then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix together cheese, breadcrumbs and garlic in a small bowl then sprinkle over broccoli. Gently toss all ingredients together. Spread broccoli out on pan making sure pieces do not overlap.
- Roast in oven for 18-20 minutes until broccoli tips and breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove from oven. Drizzle with more olive oil and season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately.