11/13/2013

Braised Chicken Thighs

The temperatures were dropping and the wind was whipping last night.  I knew my guys were gonna hit the door with pink cheeks and noses with the first thing out of their mouths being, “what’s for dinner, Mom, we’re cold and starving!”
No problem – I was ready.
Earlier in the day, I had picked up some chicken leg quarters, veggies and stock.  I wanted to make a dish that was warm, packed with flavor and filling.  The decision was actually quite easy – a braise.  Braising is a cooking technique in which the main ingredient is seared, or browned in fat, and then simmered in liquid on low heat in a covered pot. A big benefit of this cooking method is that the meat tastes great and you also get delicious broth, sauce or gravy. It’s one pot cooking at it’s finest.  Also at the end of the meal there isn’t much to cleaning up and anything leftover can be reheated or frozen.  So, a couple of hours before dinner I got to work and things came together beautifully.  I served this delicious chicken with rice and ladled over the rich sauce flavored with cider vinegar, thyme and butter.  Along with some fresh fruit, dinner was complete.  What a great way to ward off the cold weather.
Braised Chicken Leg Quarters
Cider Braised Chicken
4 chicken leg quarters
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 – 6 carrots – roughly chopped
1 onion – chopped
5 cloves garlic – sliced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
  • Preheat oven to 350°
  • In a large enameled cast-iron pot, heat olive oil.
  • Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add to pot, skin side down.
  • Cook over moderately high heat, in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
  • Spoon off all but 2 tablespoons of fat in pot.
  • Add carrots, garlic and onion – cook over low heat until tender – 5 minutes.
  • Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
  • Add  cider vinegar and stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of the pot. Bring sauce to a boil and cook until thickened, 3 minutes.
  • Add broth, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
  • Nestle the chicken in sauce, skin side up. Transfer pot to oven and braise chicken for about 50 minutes, until cooked through.
  • Remove pot from oven and preheat to broil.
  • Transfer chicken to a baking sheet, skin side up. Broil on middle rack of the oven until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
  • Simmer sauce over moderate heat until reduced to about 1/2 – 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper.
  • Return the chicken to the casserole, skin side up, and serve.
    Cider Braised Chicken
Share on: Yum
Print Friendly
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

Oh my gosh – that looks FANTASTIC!!! Must pin this and make it later. This will taste so good in this deep freeze. Thank you 🙂

2. Anonymous says:

I am making it now. Looks great.

3. Just made this tonight and really loved it! I after the sauce reduced some, I tossed in instant rice to soak in all of that goodness! Made an amazing meal! Thanks again for sharing 😀

• Thanks friend! I love your idea of putting in the rice, very smart! Thanks for sharing your kind words and I hope you'll keep hanging out with me.
      xo,
      ~Donya

4. Anonymous says:

I happened across this recipe on Pinterest and I knew instantly this was going to be dinner tonight! After reading through the recipe, I can almost smell it cooking! Thanks for sharing your recipe!! 🙂

5. I'm going to pin this and make it very soon. Need some good chicken recipes, and this will sure satisfy a hungry meal. Looks delish! Thanks~

6. Anonymous says:

I have made this twice already, its perfectly delicious!

7. Just found this recipe via pinterest and can not wait to make it for my family tonight. Thank you so much for sharing!

8. Hello, made this for tonights dinner. I did add celery and taters and moved to a crockpot instead of oven . Its 95* here didn't want to heat the house up. Being a fellow southerner you understand that.. Followed another commenter and added egg noodles over rice-fiancé prefers egg noodles. Smells amazing and looks so yummy!! Thanks for this post, Looking forward to dunking homemade French bread in the yummy goo!!!!

9. Will be making this dish soon. Also thinking of adding some sliced shrooms. Ya think?

10. Just make this for supper. Delish. Thank you!

11. Just made this wonderful recipe and it was super yummy! I love that I was able to make it from simple Ingredients I already had at home. It has such a rich flavor.

• Thank you Katie! It's always such a joy to hear that a reader made one of my recipes and enjoyed it! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and will stop by again soon!
      xo,
      ~Donya

12. Hi
    I made this dish today, and it was wonderfully delicious. I did add a little chopped spinach and parsley. I also seasoned the chicken with a Lil tumeric

13. Karen D. says:

Just made this tonight with 10 chicken thighs. Fantastic. Will be in our regular rotation. Served with Near East Whole Grain Brown rice pilaf. I also used a whole pound of carrots.

14. Good receipes ..this blog so good..
    Chowringheee Lane Laxmi Nagar

15. Silly questions, but when you put the chicken in the pot to braise it in the oven is the pot covered?

16. I literally have this in the oven. Smells divine! I used at least a pound of carrots too. I had six large thighs and 12 chicken legs so I upped the broth up just a bit. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

17. Anonymous says:

Just searched Pinterest for chicken legs/thighs recipes and this one practically jumped off the page. I have everything I need on hand and will make tonight for dinner. Will let you know how wonderful it is later. Thanks for the recipe.