Lemon Chicken, cooked low and slow in the crock pot is succulent, juicy and fall off the bone tender. Flavored with garlic, lemon and thyme, this recipe makes an impressive dish when entertaining yet it’s simple enough for a weeknight meal!
This past weekend I combined some of my favorite things! My crock pot, lemons, garlic and chicken. I’d made an early morning run to the grocery and picked up a whole chicken (cut up) that was on sale plus several other items. At that point I wasn’t really sure what I was going to do with the bird but knew I could turn it into something special. Since I had the whole day ahead of me, I decided my trusty slow cooker would be the way to go so I gathered my other ingredients and started cooking.
What you’ll need to make Crock Pot Lemon Chicken:
- garlic bulbs
- chicken stock
- dried thyme
This dish came together rather quickly and results were incredible. The chicken was moist, full of flavor and there was delicious broth from all of the lemons and garlic. After removing the chicken from the pot, I strained off the rich liquid and with the addition of some flour, butter, salt and pepper made some gravy which I served over a steaming scoop of Instant Pot Garlic and Herb Rice. I added my Super Simple Caprese Salad and dinner was done! One thing’s for sure, after all my years in the kitchen, this principle still holds true for me …simple food cooked with love shared with family and friends is total joy.
Other great chicken recipes to enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Sweet Heat BBQ Chicken
- Herb Butter Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Skillet Chicken Spaghetti
- Easy Oven Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Lemon Chicken
Crock Pot Lemon Chicken
A simple preparation, with most of the work done by a slow cooker, this dish comes together with a yummy homemade feel.
- 1 whole chicken - cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lemons cut into thick slices
- 3 garlic bulbs - tops cut off to expose cloves
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and brown in hot pan working in batches.
- Place all but 3 to 4 lemon slices on bottom of crockpot along with garlic bulbs.
- Layer chicken on top of lemon and garlic. Gently pour over stock. Place remaining lemon slices on top of chicken and sprinkle on thyme.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours.
- When done, remove chicken from pot and strain broth.
- Serve chicken and gravy over rice, noodles or creamy grits.
- Melt 2 tablespoon of butter in a pan.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook until golden brown.
- Slowly pour in flavored broth and continue to whisk until smooth. Cook on medium heat until gravy is thickened, stirring constantly.
This post was originally published on March 24, 2015.
Want to save this recipe? Pin it HERE!