Help – I’ve been sucked into the vortex of life! Every May, this happens and I feel like my life is not my own. It’s the end of the school year, athletic playoffs, finals, EOG testing, wedding, ceremonies…blah, blah, blah. The comforting thing is, everyone else is going through the same thing! Thank goodness for a what I call a “SUPER HERO” recipe – Blueberry Scones. We know that blueberries are considered one of life’s super foods, so I’m going to eat them every chance I get. Nutritional goodness and comfort at the same time? Ahh – life is crazy and good!
Blueberry Lemon Scones
Nutritional goodness and comfort at the same time? That's blueberry lemon scones.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter - frozen (1 stick)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries – freeze for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar , sifted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift together the dry ingredient - flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and lemon zest.
- Grate the frozen butter using the large holes on a box grater – a food processor can also be used.
- Add the butter to the flour mixture and blend. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the milk and sour cream.
- Mix everything together using your fingers just to incorporate; do not overwork the dough.
- Press the dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12 inch square. Sprinkle
- Press blueberries evenly over the dough and gently press down.
- Fold square over and press into a 12 by 3 /12 rectangle.
- Cut the rectangle in 1/2 then cut the pieces in 1/2 again, giving you 4 squares.
- Cut the squares in 1/2 on a diagonal to give you the classic triangle shape.
- Place the scones on a parchment lined cookie sheet and brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Mix lemon juice and sugar together until smooth.
- Drizzle over scones.