- How was your day?
- What did you learn?
- Not much
- Really? I find that hard to believe…tell me about Math
- well, we worked on …
Then, that PEARL OF WISDOM flowed from his mouth!
- MOM! Today at recess, the gang created the best game…
- What, what???
- Leaf Catching ! The wind was blowing and there were leaves falling all over. We decided whoever could catch the most leaves in 30 seconds was the winner. It was awesome and we had the best time.
Ahhh…nothing like a kid….curious, sweet and a lover of life. They create, investigate, giggle and laugh. This made me start thinking that maybe I should try “catching some leaves”, it might serve me well. So, with that story and the cool weather, it was time for a little sweetness in the kitchen. I looked in the pantry, sniffed around and decided on……Gingerbread Cake. Mercy Day!….could you get any better than that dark, spicy, rich piece of joy? I don’t think so and neither did the boys. Catching leaves and eating cake…life is good.
Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter - room temp
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x9 baking pan.
- Cream together sugar and butter. Beat in egg and mix in molasses.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Blend into the cream mixture.
- Stir in hot water. Mix well.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream.