- How was your day?
- What did you learn?
- Not much
- Really? I find that hard to believe…tell me about Math
- well, we worked on …
Then, that PEARL OF WISDOM flowed from his mouth!
- MOM! Today at recess, the gang created the best game…
- What, what???
- Leaf Catching ! The wind was blowing and there were leaves falling all over. We decided whoever could catch the most leaves in 30 seconds was the winner. It was awesome and we had the best time.
Ahhh…nothing like a kid….curious, sweet and a lover of life. They create, investigate, giggle and laugh. This made me start thinking that maybe I should try “catching some leaves”, it might serve me well. So, with that story and the cool weather, it was time for a little sweetness in the kitchen. I looked in the pantry, sniffed around and decided on……Gingerbread Cake. Mercy Day!….could you get any better than that dark, spicy, rich piece of joy? I don’t think so and neither did the boys. Catching leaves and eating cake…life is good.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter - room temp
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x9 baking pan.
- Cream together sugar and butter. Beat in egg and mix in molasses.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Blend into the cream mixture.
- Stir in hot water. Mix well.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream.
I did the Philly Stuffed sandwiches for Saturday night dinner. My sons are never picky and as long as there is something to eat they are happy. I just did steak fries and they were very happy campers. Thanks for such an easy recipe and one that I will definitely be doing again. In the words of my oldest one, Mom I don’t know where you got that recipe from but it was banging!!!! I love that they don’t complain about what they eat but eat it and enjoy. ❤️ your site thanks for the great recipes.
WOW! Thanks for sharing Ann. I know how it is cooking for boys and I’m so glad your guys liked it. I am so glad you stopped by and hope that you’ll let me know what your family thinks of other recipes.
Have a great week!
I love warm homemade gingerbread!!!