This post may contain affiliate links.
Million Dollar Pound Cake is buttery, soft, has rich flavors of vanilla and almond, and is a dessert that’s worthy of its name! This classic recipe not only looks impressive but also tastes amazing and, believe it or not, is very simple to make with just 7 ingredients.
It’s kind of hard to describe just how over-the-top delicious this cake is. Yes, it has a strange name, but honestly, after just one bite, you might think that you’ve won the lottery, found a pot of gold, or at a minimum, savored amazing pound cake.
Million Dollar Pound Cake is a classic style pound cake made with pantry ingredients. The trick is to have just the right amount of each of those ingredients to make a truly delicious cake.
I’m not sure what I like best about this pound cake. Is it the crunchy topping that’s so addicting? Or is it the buttery, tender cake full of the deep flavors of almonds and vanilla? How about I call it a tie!
Million Dollar Pound Cake Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Eggs – use large eggs at room temperature
- Butter – salted at room temperature
- Whole Milk
- Granulated Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pure Almond Extract
Scroll down for the ingredient measurements and full instructions.
What Size Pan Is Used For This Recipe?
This is a large cake, so make sure you use the proper size tube. I use a 10-inch metal tube pan, and there is enough room for the cake to expand when it bakes. It turns out beautifully every time.
Why Is It Called Pound Cake?
Pound cake dates back to the 1700s. It gets its name from how the cake was traditionally made with 1 pound of butter, 1 pound of eggs, and 1 pound each flour and sugar.
Tips For Making The Best Million Dollar Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees BEFORE making the cake.
- Make sure the eggs and butter are at room temperature.
- Generously butter and flour the tube pan.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time and make sure they are fully incorporated into the batter.
- Sift the flour to make it light and airy.
- After baking, let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning it out onto a rack or plate to cool completely.
How To Store Pound Cake
The best way to store pound cake is on the counter, covered or in a sealed container. Keeping it in the refrigerator is not necessary and actually dries the cake out.
Can I Freeze Million Dollar Pound Cake?
This cake freezes beautifully! After baking and cooling, make sure to tightly wrap the cake in plastic wrap. Store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Before serving, let it thaw overnight in the fridge, then place it on the counter to come to room temperature.
More Pound Cake Recipes You’ll Love!
- Buttermilk Pound Cake With Brown Butter Icing
- Lemon Pound Cake
- Brown Sugar And Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Eggnog Pound Cake
- Classic Southern Pound Cake
- Stand Mixer
- 1 pound (4 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Generously, butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until creamy and light yellow in color. This will take about 5 minutes. Gradually add in sugar and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
- Add the flour to the butter, and egg mixture alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Add extracts and mix in.
- Pour or spoon the batter (it will be thick) into the prepared pan. Gently tap the pan on the counter to release any bubbles, if needed. Smooth the top of the batter and place in the oven to bake for approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove, and place on a rack or plate to continue cooling.