Savory and wholesome Sausage and Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole is a comfort food lover’s dream! It’s a perfect make-ahead dish for any holiday morning but easy enough that you’ll want to add it to your weekly breakfast, brunch, or even dinner rotation.
Alright, Y’all, let’s get right to it. I love all things breakfast, and I’ve come to the realization that breakfast casseroles might just be my favorite. They are easy to make and packed with so many yummy ingredients, and everyone loves them!
I’ve got a few breakfast bakes that my family loves, like Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole and French Toast Breakfast Casserole, but this breakfast casserole is one of their FAVS! It’s inspired by my Ham and Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole, and every time I make it, they say, “Mom, it smells like Christmas.
As a bonus, with very little prep time and cooking time, this cheesy sausage breakfast casserole is ready in under an hour, which means I get to spend more time having fun and enjoying my family and friends.
Sausage Croissant Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
This croissant bake only needs a few ingredients, 6 to be exact, to create the most decadent and hearty breakfast casserole!
- The base – I use store-bought medium-size buttery croissants. Day-old pastry is actually great in this recipe.
- The filling – all you need is eggs and half and half (heavy cream or whole milk also works) to make the filling that will bind all other ingredients.
- Flavorful mix-ins – breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese, and mustard all help to make this SO good! You can also add kosher salt and pepper if desired.
Variations and Additions
This sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast casserole recipe is delicious as is, but if you want to mix it up, here are a few ideas:
- Take this dish to a whole new level by making the Best Homemade Sauage Gravy and spooning it over the cheesy breakfast casserole!
- Use vegetables like green onions, red pepper, green peppers, spinach, or caramelized onions for extra flavor and texture.
- Substitute mozzarella cheese, gruyere cheese, or Swiss cheese if desired.
- You can make this casserole spicy by using diced jalapenos or cool it down by adding a can of green chilies and cream cheese instead of cheddar.
How to Make This Breakfast Casserole
- Tear croissants in half and place in a 9×6 inch deep baking dish.
- Sprinkle over shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add cooked sausage over the torn croissants and cheese.
- Then, in a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the croissants and cover with foil. Chill the casserole in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Place the covered breakfast casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the casserole is hot and bubbly with a golden top.
How To Make Overnight Breakfast Casserole
This sausage croissant breakfast casserole is great because you can prepare everything the day before and then pop it in the oven in the morning.
To do this, make the casserole, cover it with aluminum foil, and place it in the fridge overnight. Take the casserole out of the fridge then bake per the instructions. This is the perfect way to get a jump on the day, making overnight guests and your family happy.
Often Asked Questions And Answers
Yes! It makes a terrific freezer meal. Make according to direction until just done, wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap then place in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you want to enjoy it, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bake until hot and golden on the top.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container. To reheat, place the entire pan back in the oven for 10-15 minutes or microwave individual slices for 1-2 minutes.
More Great Breakfast Recipes
If you tried this Sausage And Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
Sausage And Cheese Croissand Breakfast Casserole
- 6-8 croissants
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage – cooked and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Lightly coat a 9×6 inch deep baking dish with cooking spray, you can also use a 9×11 baking dish.
- Tear croissants in half and place in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the shredded cheese and cooked sausage over the torn croissants. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan, over the croissants. Cover with foil and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place covered breakfast casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the casserole is hot and bubbly with a golden top.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Add garnishes like fresh parsley, chopped chives or red pepper flakes, slice, and serve.