This post may contain affiliate links.
If you’re on the lookout for an easy and delicious side dish, then make air fryer sweet potatoes! Sweet potatoes are a fantastic choice to cook in the air fryer, as they don’t require a lot of effort but deliver amazing results. They are light and fluffy on the outside with a crispy skin that’s crazy good.
My family loves sweet potatoes, and I cook them at least once a week. They’re versatile, and I can turn them into a sweet or savory dish that pairs well with my main course recipes. Plus, sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients, including fiber, vitamins E, C, and potassium, which makes me happy when my family eats them.
Worried about the cooking process? Don’t be! Cooking with an air fryer is easy-peasy, and once you set the air fryer temperature and cooking time, you’ll be all set to enjoy perfectly roasted sweet potatoes.
What You Need To Make The Best Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Whole Sweet Potatoes – washed and dried
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – avocado oil can also be used
- Kosher Salt
- Granulated Sugar – brown sugar can be substituted
- Air Fryer – I’ve used a Ninja 4-quart air fryer and a 7-quart PowerXL.
Benefits Of Using The Air Fryer
- Healthier option: Cooking sweet potatoes in an air fryer requires little to no oil, making it a healthier alternative to traditional frying methods.
- Evenly cooked: The hot air circulating in an air fryer ensures that the sweet potatoes are cooked evenly on all sides, resulting in a crispy skin and a creamy, tender inside.
- Saves time: Cooking with an air fryer can significantly reduce cooking time, as it preheats faster than a conventional oven and cooks food faster due to the hot air circulating.
- Versatile: Air fryer sweet potatoes can be cooked in various ways, such as air fryer sweet potato fries, wedges, or cubes, giving you the flexibility to choose how you want to serve them.
- Easy to clean: Air fryers are easy to clean, as most of them have dishwasher-safe parts, making cleanup a breeze after cooking great air fryer recipes like sweet potato fries in air fryer.
Variations On This Recipe
Don’t want the cinnamon sugar? No problem, you can skip it. This sweet potato recipe is great with a drizzle of maple syrup and a dash of pepper. You can also make a savory version with sour cream and chives or other herbs.
Tips For Easy Sweet Potatoes In The Air Fryer
- Toss the sweet potatoes in a little bit of olive oil to help them crisp up in the air fryer.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket – cook fries in a single layer to avoid them sticking together. You may need to cook the sweet potatoes in batches.
- Shake the basket every few minutes to ensure the sweet potatoes cook evenly on all sides.
- Refer to an air fryer cooking chart for recommended times and temperatures, as different air fryers can vary in cooking times.
- Sweet potatoes can be cooked in various ways in the air fryer, such as fries, wedges, or cubes, making them a versatile side dish option.
Commonly Asked Questions
Cooking times will vary depending on the size and thickness of the sweet potatoes, but as a general rule, cook them for 15-20 minutes at 400°F, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time.
Yes, it’s recommended to preheat the air fryer before adding the sweet potatoes to ensure even cooking.
It’s up to personal preference, but leaving the skin on will increase the fiber content and make the sweet potatoes crispier.
Yes, you can cook other foods in the air fryer, but be sure to adjust the cooking times and temperatures accordingly.
Toss the sweet potatoes in a little bit of olive oil and cook them in a single layer in the air fryer basket to prevent them from sticking together.
More Great Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Sausage And Potatoes
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Using a fork, poke several holes in sweet potatoes. Sprinkle over olive oil and salt then rub to coat potatoes. Place in air fryer.
- Set air fryer temperature to 400 and cook 45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove potatoes from air fryer and let cool for 5 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooling, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Split potatoes down the middle and sprinkle with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. (Store remaining sugar mixture for future use.) Top with butter and serve.
*Oven Baking Instructions*
- Using a fork, poke several holes in sweet potatoes. Sprinkle over olive oil and salt then rub to coat potatoes. Place on a baking sheet. Set oven to 400 degrees and bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- This sweet potato recipe is great with a drizzle of maple syrup and a dash of pepper. You can also make a savory version with sour cream and chives or other herbs.
Want To Know More About Air Frying?
If you are new to cooking with an Air Fryer or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Air Fryer like a pro!