Meatballs are a favorite dish for many people, my family included but then there’s the exception – my youngest son is crazy about them. He request them when he gets home from a camping trip, after a Lacrosse game, when he does something exceptional in school and at least once a week. I love that am honored that he finds my meatballs so yummy but goodness…sweet child, I just can’t make the same thing every week!
Of course, over time he wore me down so I started coming up with different ways to make them and Barbecued Meatballs quickly became a favorite. It may look like there’s lots of ingredients but don’t worry, this dish is really easy. Just make your sauce, put it on the back burner and let it simmer while you make the meatballs. Even better, get someone to help you roll those savory, little rounds (that’s Hunter’s job) and before you know it, dinner is served.
I serve these meatballs over rice or mashed potatoes and the leftovers are great on a hoagie roll with a little melted cheese on top. Maybe best of all, keep them warm in your slow cooker for game day or when entertaining. Stay tuned, y’all because I think I’ll probably have several more meatball recipes to share!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup Pepperidge Farms seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Mix gently. Using a medium size scoop or tablespoon, form meat into balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake meatballs for approximately 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove meatballs and add to sauce.
- 1 28 oz . bottle of prepared BBQ Sauce - I used Sweet Baby Rays
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 8 oz . can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon red pepper jelly
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat BBQ sauce on medium heat.
- Stir in honey and tomato sauce.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring sauce to a low simmer.
- Add red pepper jelly and stir until melted.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Reduce to low and simmer while meatballs are cooking.