Oh my goodness, last week, you all could probably hear me screaming a loud YIPPEE when the temperature was actually below 60 degrees! I do like summer but am over warm weather. So, with a cool breeze blowing, I could not resist the urge to make a big pot of soup. I decided to go “old school” with my recipe. My grandmother used to make an incredible vegetable soup that had chunks of carrots and potatoes along with green beans and peas in a rich broth. I used her soup as my inspiration and came up with this ~ beef and bean soup made in my slow cooker. I changed the recipe up a little so that I could add ingredients that my family loves. I had ground beef on hand and my pantry is always stocked with canned beans of all sorts, so I grabbed come cannellini beans and got to work. It took me less than 15 minutes to get everything into my crock pot. I was quite happy at that point because I knew the flavors were going to come together beautifully plus I’d have enough soup left over to freeze for another meal.After several hours of running errands, I returned home to the incredible smell of simmering soup. You know that aroma of cooked garlic, onions and veggies that just make you feel warm inside. I didn’t try to get fancy with this recipe – just good ingredient seasoned properly. I served up steaming bowls of my soup, along with a fresh green salad and garlic bread. It was great dinner with delicious, simple food.
Beef and Bean Slow Cooker Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 4 carrots - chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can cannellini beans - drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add ground beef and onion. Add half of salt, pepper and garlic. Cook until meat is done.
- Place meat and onion mixture in bottom of slow cooker. Add chopped carrot and celery and mix together. Gently pour in tomatoes and stock. Add beans, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir to blend all ingredients.
- Cover and cook soup on low for 5 hours.
- Uncover and add corn. Cook for 1 additional hour.
- Stir soup and serve.