Tender, white beans, ham, along with a few veggies, good stock and herbs make a soup that’s hearty and satisfying. It’s a great, no-stress meal on its own especially when the slow cooker does all the work for you! Load up your crockpot and you’ve got an amazing dinner that the whole family will love.
According to those who know, this soup is the best I’ve ever made. Uh, really? Yes, that was my response. Not that I’m ungrateful or anything but this new dish came together so quickly that I hardly thought it’d be in the “best ever” category. The incredible part of the recipe is that it’s made with leftovers and simple pantry ingredients.
In our house, we all love leftovers. That’s where the ham comes in. I always make a beautiful ham for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and this year was no different. We were able to get quite a few yummy sandwiches from the leftovers then what was left was the tender, juicy meat next to the ham bone. There was no way that I was going to throw all that deliciousness out, so I got my noggin working, shopped my pantry and decided to make soup.
Since I had a busy schedule that day, I knew using my would be best for helping get a hot dinner on the table plus guaranteeing that my dried beans would be cooked. I put a bag of along with the chopped ham into my crock pot. With the addition of sauteed carrots, onions, garlic and my homemade stock, all I had to do is add a little water and some . Six hours later, I had the “best soup” I’ve ever made. I’m still not sure about “best ever” but then again, I’ll take it. No arguing here.
Slow Cooker Ham & White Bean Soup
- 1 bag great Northern beans (SMALL white beans) I use Goya brand
- 2 cups chopped ham (leftover or deli sliced)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cloves garlic - grated I use a microplane
- Place beans, ham, stock and water in crockpot.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet. Add onions, carrots, garlic and cook until tender. Add salt, pepper and thyme. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Place lid on and set to cook ON LOW/6 HOURS (check for tenderness and cook longer if needed), ON HIGH/4 HOURS.
- When done, serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and or hot sauce.
Please see this featured recipe and more at Weekend Potluck!
This recipe is also featured on Whatcha Crocking Week!