This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy Broccoli Casserole is a fresh take on a beloved side dish! Made with fresh broccoli, cheese, toasted breadcrumbs, and seasoned perfectly, this is a healthy way to enjoy a casserole.
Side dishes are always a favorite at any meal! Air Fryer Baked Potatoes, Instant Pot Garlic Herb Rice, or Skillet Green Beans, are classic side dishes that are perfect to serve at any meal.
I absolutely love a good casserole. The thing is, I want to taste what’s in the casserole, and I don’t want the ingredients covered up with sauce (you know what I mean) and an overabundance of cheese.
Enter in, my take on a Southern favorite recipe. Easy Broccoli Casserole is light, loaded with fresh broccoli, and it’s loaded with flavor. This casserole, made with 7 ingredients, might seem a bit simple but I can assure you, after one bite, this will be your new favorite broccoli casserole recipe!
What You Need To Make Broccoli Casserole
With 7 simple ingredients, you can make an incredible side dish that your family and friends will dig into.
- Fresh Broccoli
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
Do You Cook The Broccoli Before Adding It To The Casserole?
Yes, you do. You can either blanch the broccoli in boiling water then shock it to stop the cooking process, or you can steam it in the microwave. Just make sure not to overcook it, then drain well.
How To Make This Recipe
This recipe is straightforward and simple. Here’s how it comes together:
- First, steam or blanch the fresh broccoli and drain it.
- Mix up the cheese, sour cream, and seasoning and mix with the broccoli. Place everything in a prepared casserole dish.
- Next, toss the breadcrumbs and Panko together. This is going to give the casserole great crunch and texture. Dot the top with butter and bake.
- Once the casserole is golden brown and bubbly, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, serve it up!
Can This Casserole Be Made Ahead Of Time?
You can prep this casserole ahead of time. Make according to the directions up to the point of adding the topping. Cover the casserole and place it in the refrigerator. Before baking, add the topping and butter and bake until done.
What To Serve With Broccoli Casserole…
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Easy Marinated London Broil Recipe
- Busy Day Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Sheet Pan Brats & Potatoes
- Skillet Beef Stew
- 6 – 7 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter – cubed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place broccoli in a microwave safe bowl. Add ¼ cup water, cover bowl and steam broccoli for 30 seconds. Drain.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, cheese, salt, pepper, garlic salt and red pepper. Pour mixture over cooled broccoli and mix well.
- Coat baking dish with non stick cooking spray and add broccoli.
- Mix together breadcrumbs with panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Dot with cubes of butter.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
My new favorite Broccoli Recipe!
Hey there William!
Thank you so much for your kind words of support and your fantastic rating, I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed this recipe!
Is there a substitute for sour cream. I am allergic to sour cream.
Hey there Alice!
That’s a great question! Instead of using Sour Cream in this recipe, you can substitute full fat Greek yogurt, but make sure it’s full fat so that the consistency is similar to sour cream. If you’re lactose intolerant, you can usually find lactose free Greek yogurt in most grocery stores, if you’re not lactose intolerant you can also use ricotta instead of sour cream. Both of these substitutes will obviously change the intended flavor of the dish, but it will still taste delicious and the texture will be the same. I hope this helps, if you end up trying this recipe let me know what you think! Thank you for your interest!