This post may contain affiliate links.
Tender, juicy, slow-cooked pot roast is a lifesaver when your daily schedule becomes hectic. This is one of the simplest recipes I’ve ever made, yet, it’s also one of the most delectable. Only a few flavor-packed ingredients are needed, then the magic is done by the crockpot.
I named this recipe “busy day” because if you all are like me, sometimes I don’t have 5 minutes of time to spare, especially in the morning. The thing is, I’ve found that when life gets hectic, that’s when you really need to gather your family around the supper table. Sharing about your day and all the goings-on is important, no matter how busy the cook is.
What Makes This Pot Roast So Good?
- The success of this recipe comes from proper seasoning using my homemade House Seasoning along with fresh rosemary. I always have pots of herbs growing right outside my backdoor so all I have to do is step out and snip off whatever I need.
- Richness is added with tomato paste mixed with stock. Don’t stress if you don’t have beef stock! I always use whatever I have on hand which could be vegetable, chicken or beef.
- Add some extra flavor with an aromatic. Slice up an onion, then, put the roast and ingredients in your slow cooker and walk away.
- Dinner will be waiting on you in 6 hours, just in time for everyone one to grab a plate and start telling of the day’s happenings.
Ingredients For Busy Day Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Chuck Roast or any other cut of beef roast that you like or find on sale.
- Onions cut into thick slices.
- A Southern Soul House Seasoning – I use this seasoning every day! It’s easy to make with this recipe.
- Fresh rosemary – you can use dried is you don’t have or can’t find the fresh.
- Tomato Paste – I use the concentrated form in the tube. Squeeze out what you need, then store in the refrigerator for the next time.
- Beef stock or whatever type of stock you have on hand.
How Long Does It Take To Cook This Recipe?
By using the slow cooker, this roast turns out tender and juicy, plus it’s perfectly seasoned. Cook the roast on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for 5 hours.
How To Store Leftover Busy Day Pot Roast
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, the pot roast can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
What To Serve With Busy Day Slow Cooker Pot Roast
As the name says, this recipe is perfect to serve on a busy weeknight, but it’s also terrific for Sunday supper. Here are some of my favorite sides to serve alongside:
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Southern Green Beans
- Instant Pot Garlic and Herb Rice
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Easy Roasted Broccoli
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love…
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Sliders
- 5-Ingredient Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Meatballs
- Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan
- 1 3 to 3.5 lb beef roast – any cut
- 1 tablespoon house seasoning – see link
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef , chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 – 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Cut onion into thick slices and place in bottom of slow cooker. Place roast on top of slices.
- Mix together in a small bowl, tomato paste and stock. Pour mixture over roast. Sprinkle on house seasoning and add rosemary.
- Cook in crock pot on high for 5 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- When done, remove from crock pot, slice and serve with extra drippings.
Want To Know More About Slow Cooking?
If you are new to cooking with a Crock Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using a slow cooker like a pro!
I’m not a big meat eater but this was delicious! The house smelled awesome while it was cooking; the flavors were phenomenal!
Hey there Claire!
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed this recipe, I completely agree with you that the best part of this recipe is the smell in your house. If you liked this recipe, you should check out my Crock Pot Chicken Thighs recipe, it’s just as easy to make and it’s super flavorful! If you ever have any questions please feel free to reach out! Happy Holidays!
What is the house seasoning
That’s a great question! The House Seasoning is a homemade blend of spices; if you click the “house seasoning” link in the instructions of this recipe, or search for house seasoning in the search bar on the top right, you will find the recipe for it. Thank you for your interest in the Pot Roast, let me know if you have any other questions! I hope you enjoy!