This Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is fall-apart tender and loaded with deep, rich flavor. It’s terrific for tacos, enchiladas, and nachos or piled over rice and beans for burritos bowls. With so many yummy uses, you can let your imagination run wild!
If you’ve been following A Southern Soul for any time, you know what a fan I am of the slow cooker. It’s easy to use, gives me back time, saves clean-up, and can turn inexpensive ingredients into something amazing.
There are some recipes that are a natural fit for slow cooking. Mexican Shredded Chicken, Sweet & Savory Ham, and Irish Pot Roast are a few of those, and at the top of my list to make when it comes to using my crockpot. They are all super flavorful, easy to make, and do double and triple duty at mealtime.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is now proudly added to that list of great slow cooker recipes. This recipe has just the right amount of delicious ingredients which means there’s no need for a bunch of prep-work. Just load up the crockpot, set the timer then wait for the magic to happen.
What Goes In This Recipe?
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Garlic Cloves
- Green Chilies
- Chipolte Peppers
- Smoked Paprika
- Beef Broth
- Lime Juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- First, place the sliced onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Next, lay the beef roast on top of the onions. Sprinkle the chopped garlic around the sides of the roast.
- In a small bowl, (I use a large measuring cup) add the beef stock, chopped chipotles, green chilies, lime juice, and vinegar. Whisk together and pour around the edge of the roast.
- Sprinkle cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper on top of the meat. Cover and set the timer to 8 hours on low, or 4 for high heat.
- When the roast is done, remove it from the pot and shred using 2 forks. Drain off 3/4 liquid from crockpot and add the beef back in. Gently toss the meat in the juices and serve!
Can Mexican Shredded Beef Be Frozen?
Absolutely! It’s a great make-ahead, freezer-friendly meal. Just follow the directions for cooking then let the meat cool. Place it in a freezer-safe container or ziptop bag for up to 3 months.
Recipes To Serve With Mexican Shredded Beef
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans
- Avocado Salsa
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits Casserole
- Pineapple Salsa
Let me know if you make this recipe! You can rate it below, leave me a comment, or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul
- Slow Cooker
- 1 3-pound beef chuck roast
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 4 ounce can green chilies
- 2 chipotles, chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Layer sliced onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chuck roast on top of onions. Sprinkle chopped garlic around the side of the beef.
- In a small bowl, add green chilies, chopped chipotle, beef broth, vinegar, and lime juice, whisk together then pour over the roast. Sprinkle the top of the roast with cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Place lid on the slow cooker and set the timer to 8 hours for low OR on high for 4 hours.
- When the roast is done, remove it from the slow cooker and shred using 2 forks. Drain off 3/4 of the liquid from the pot. Add shredded beef back into the pot and gently toss with remaining juice. Serve immediately.
- ***Can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- ***Place remaining chipotles in a ziptop bag and freeze for later use.
This post may contain affiliate links.