This post may contain affliliate links.
Enjoy this easy-to-make Buffalo Chicken on sandwiches, in dips, salads, sliders, or pizza! Buffalo Chicken made with just 5 ingredients cooked low and slow in the Crock Pot is a recipe with so many uses! It’s a must-make on game day, for parties, or a weeknight meal.
When life gets busy and I feel pulled in 20 different directions, it’s easy to get overwhelmed, especially with the age-old question “what’s for dinner” coming from a hungry family. One of the ways I take back a little control of the craziness is with my slow cooker.
Most weeks, I use it for at least one meal especially when you have recipes that are perfect for cooking in the crock pot.
Buffalo Chicken, made with just 5-ingredients is the ultimate recipe for the slow cooker! This flavor-packed recipe has multiply uses, too. Pile it high on toasted buns, or make sliders. Make it into a creamy Buffalo Chicken dip served with chips and celery sticks. The ideas might just be endless!
Ingredients For Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Chicken Breasts
- Ranch Seasoning
- Buffalo Hot Sauce – your favorite brand
- Sour Cream
Equipment Needed For This Recipe
You’ll need a slow cooker for this recipe. I have a few different sizes that I use depending on how much food I’m cooking. You can also use a multi-cooker, most often called an Instant Pot. Here are my favorite slow cookers:
How To Make Buffalo Chicken
- Cut the butter in chunks and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the butter. Make sure to use thawed chicken. Using frozen chicken is not recommended for use in the crockpot. The chicken will spend too long in the “danger zone” at room temperature as it thaws and can grow bacteria.
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the chicken breasts.
- Pour a whole bottle of buffalo wing sauce over all ingredients.
- Place the lid on the crock pot, set temperature and time.
- When chicken is cooked, shred with two forks.
- Add in sour cream and mix everything together.
That’s it! You are ready to dig in. I’m not sure a recipe could get any easier, especially one that has so many delicious uses.
Can Buffalo Chicken Be Frozen?
Yes, it sure can. Follow the directions for making the recipe. After cooking, let the chicken cool, then place it in either freezer-safe containers or zip-top bags. When ready to use, thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight. Heat it on the stove and enjoy!
How To Serve 5-Ingredient Buffalo Chicken
- Go classic with it piled on a toasted bun
- Make sliders by slicing Hawaiian rolls in half horizontally, then layering on the buffalo chicken. Drizzle on garlic butter, then toast in the oven.
- Add a few spoonfuls to crispy lettuce, then drizzle on homemade Blue Cheese Dressing.
- For a fun twist on pizza, make Buffalo Chicken Flatbread loaded with irresistible flavors.
Make Buffalo Chicken Dip!
Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip is a quick and easy appetizer that is sure to be a hit at your next party! Made with slow-cooked buffalo chicken, cheese and loaded with your favorite wing sauce, it’s a hot, creamy dip that will have everyone begging you for the recipe.
What To Serve With Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Blue Cheese Coleslaw
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Mexican Corn Dip
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits
- Cucumber and Onion Refrigerator Pickles
More Great Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love!
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Meatballs
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Sliders
- 4- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package ranch dressing
- 1 bottle buffalo hot sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
- 5 tablespoons butter cut into individual measurements
- Put pats of butter in bottom of slow cooker and layer chicken on top.
- Sprinkle ranch dressing on top of chicken.
- Pour buffalo sauce over chicken. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4.
- With two forks, shred chicken, add sour cream and mix well with sauce.
Want To Know More About Slow Cooking?
If you are new to cooking with a Crock Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using a slow cooker like a pro!
This post was originally posted in September 2014.
How would you adapt this to stovetop or oven?
This post has a conversation chart for crock pot to oven/stove.
What brand buffalo sauce?!
Normally what’s on sale. 😉
Any idea how many lbs of chicken you use? I have 3 breasts that equal a little over 2 lbs and I’m wondering if that’ll be enough
That will work beautifully.
This is wonderful. The delicious aroma lingered around our house for a good hour after dinner was cleaned up, too–butter and Frank’s buffalo sauce, soo good!! It was hard to stop eating; we loved it.
Hey there Jackie!
Thank you so much for your kind words, I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed this recipe! That is one of my favorite things about this recipe too, I love any recipe that leaves a delicious aroma in my home. I really appreciate your support as well as this fantastic rating, if you ever have any questions about a recipe please don’t hesitate to reach out!
This is the best recipe I have found for chicken in the slow cooker. And the tip for using your stand mixer to shred it is so good! It worked perfectly. All of your tips and suggestions are great, thank you for sharing.
Hey there Imsen!
Wow! I am smiling ear to ear after reading this comment, it warms my heart to hear your kind words. I am so happy that you enjoyed this recipe and found the tips useful, the stand mixer trick for shredding meat is a go-to, it works for Pulled Pork as well. If you liked this recipe, you should check out my Crock Pot Chicken Thighs recipe, it’s just as easy to make and it packs a flavorful punch. Thank you so much for your sweet words of support and this amazing rating, it means the world to me!
Donya, This looks like a great recipe to make, easy and with cold slaw, yummy as always . One question, I see the chick in crock pot and looks like a lot of ranch dressing mix, I’ve seen two packs of these, a reg. size ( 1oz.) and very large one, more like 8oz. maybe, about how much did you use? Know it sounds , well not going there.
Hey there Stony!
Thank you so much for your rating, and your interest in this recipe! As for the ranch mix, the recipe calls for one 1 once package of ranch seasoning mix and one 15 or 16 once bottle of Buffalo sauce. I hope this helps, let me know how you like it! Thank you for your support!
Very very tasty I make it all the time
Hey there Diane!
Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I’m so glad you’ve been enjoying this recipe, it’s definitely a favorite in my house too. I really appreciate your support, thank you!
This looks like a new favorite in my house!
Liren | Kitchen Confidante
This would be so good for game day!
What size bottle of hot sauce? This sounds yummy and much easier than the wings I usually make.
Hey Trish! I use the 12oz bottle. I hope this helps. I agree that this is easier than wings! I do love a crock pot shortcut.
Have a great day,
Thanks for the quick reply Donya. There is a snowy weekend forecast for us and this is my dish to make for the weekend. Should keep us warm in several ways. Cheers, Trish