This post may contain affiliate links.
Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce is tangy, spicy, and is the ultimate sauce when you’re serving pork! Originating in North Carolina, this sauce is easy to make with just 6 ingredients. This traditional sauce is for anyone who takes their pork BBQ seriously.
Where I’m from, it’s just not a proper Southern pulled pork sandwich without Carolina Vinegar Sauce.
In North Carolina, we’re famous for our pulled pork that’s chopped, loaded onto a soft bun, and topped with this sauce that packs a punch. It brings out all the beautiful flavors of smoked meat without overshadowing it.
Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce Is:
- tangy with a peppery kick
- easy to make with just 6 ingredients
- a classic sauce for pulled pork
- is great to serve with chicken and ribs
- totally addictive!
The base of the recipe is apple cider vinegar which brings a strong acidic flavor that goes so well with rich, smoked pork. With the addition of ketchup and brown sugar, the flavor of the vinegar mellows just a bit. To take the sauce over the top, red pepper flakes and black pepper gives it a spicy kick that’s irresistible.
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Black Pepper
PRO TIP: You can adjust the heat level by cutting back on the red pepper if you’re not a fan of that much heat.
How To Store Homemade BBQ Sauce
What To Serve With Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce
I always serve Carolina Vinegar with pulled pork and ribs. It’s also delicious drizzled on grilled chicken and as a dressing for slaw.
If you love good BBQ and all the good eats that go with it, then THIS post is for you. You need to save, pin and print these recipes to make the best pork BBQ and sides using this sauce that your friends and family will ever eat.
More Recipes You’ll Love…
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- Sweet Heat Grilled Chicken
- BBQ Red Slaw
- Easy Oven Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer cooking for 2 minutes until sugar and salt dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a covered jar or bottle in the refrigerator until ready to use. It can be stored for up to 3 weeks.