This post may contain affiliate links.
Tangy, peppery, and loaded with a punch of flavor, Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce will take anything you slather it on to a whole new level! With a beautiful golden color from mustard and a slight sweetness from brown sugar and honey, this sauce takes only 10 minutes to make. Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce is a classic and is deserving of the accolades it gets whenever served!
In these parts, we take our BBQ seriously. For us, BBQ, (chopped or sliced pulled pork) is a thing, not something you do. Having said that we are also passionate about what kind of sauce we use when dressing up a big pile of tender, juicy “Q.”
In North Carolina, we are known for our spicy, hot vinegar sauce. I make my own Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce and it’s become a staple in my kitchen. Now, I’m giving my South Carolina friends the due they deserve with my homemade recipe of their famous Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce.
History Of Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
All the thanks for this amazing sauce go to German immigrants who settled in South Carolina. Though the history is not well documented, it’s clear that the combination of mustard and pork has a long-standing tradition that carries on even today with this BBQ sauce recipe.
What Makes This Sauce So Special?
- it is tangy, with a zippy edge that makes it totally irresistible.
- made with only a handful of ingredients, 9 simple pantry ingredients to be exact.
- it can be used as a BBQ sauce, dip, or marinade.
- you can serve it with pork, chicken, fish, and is a must for any cookout!
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Yellow Mustard – any brand that you like
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Black Pepper – fresh cracked is best
- Worchestershire Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper – if you want a little more heat
How To Make This Sauce
All that’s needed to make Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce is one pot and about 10 minutes of time. Add all the ingredients to the pot and whisk them together. Bring the sauce up to a boil then reduce and simmer for 5 minutes. Let the sauce cool and you are ready to serve.
How To Store Homemade BBQ Sauce
Love a Yummy Sauce? Check Out These Recipes:
The ways to use this sauce are actually limitless. Even the picky eater in my family loves using Carolina Gold as a dip for chips and pretzels. As an added bonus to its incredible flavor, you can add more spice with additional black and cayenne pepper for some added heat.
What To Serve With Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
- Smoked Pulled Pork with BBQ Red Slaw
- Grilled Hot Dogs With Homerun Hot Dog Chili
- Grilled Sausages With Peppers And Onions
- Marinated Pork Tenderloin
- Easy London Broil
- Sweet Heat Grilled Chicken
If you make this Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating. I always love hearing from you! Also, if you make it, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photo.
Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- To a small pot over medium-high heat, whisk all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the sauce from the stove and let cool. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.