This post may contain affiliate links.
Alabama White BBQ Sauce is creamy, and tangy with just a bit of peppery heat. This classic sauce is terrific on chicken, pork, fish, or fries and just about anything in between, plus it’s made in just 5 minutes!
Where I come from, people take their BBQ sauce seriously. Of course, I’m one of those people too. I’m all about slathering on or dipping into a rich, homemade sauce that takes whatever I’m eating to the next level.
Here in North Carolina, we have Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce, and South Carolina is known for its mustard-based, Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. To add to this glorious list is Alabama White BBQ Sauce, and it is insanely delicious!
What Is Alabama White Sauce?
Most BBQ sauces are ketchup-based with brown sugar and spices for flavor. Not this sauce. Alabama White BBQ Sauce starts with mayonnaise. The addition of apple cider vinegar, mustard, and horseradish make it tangy and simple seasoning gives it just the right amount of heat. It’s downright irresistible.
Where Did White BBQ Sauce Come From?
Alabama White Sauce was created by Robert Gibson at Big Bob Gibson’s Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama. Big Bob’s is famous for smoked chicken that’s dunked into the sauce before serving.
Why Is Alabama White BBQ Sauce Controversial?
I’m not sure what the real issue is, but most folks say there are 2 kinds of people in the world – those who love Alabama White Sauce and those who don’t. Or, it might be that this sauce is mayo-based and not a traditional red sauce that’s cooked.
Honestly, I don’t think there is a controversy at all because this sauce is so stinking good. Who cares, right? Just give me the sauce!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Mayonnaise – make sure to use good mayonnaise and not salad dressing
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Brown Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Prepared Horseradish
- Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
Scroll down for the ingredient measurements and full instructions.
How To Make Alabama White BBQ Sauce
This recipe is super simple! Grab a bowl, add in all the ingredients, then whisk until smooth and creamy. Cover and place in the refrigerator for an hour to let the flavors marry, then serve.
Variations On This Recipe
There are several ways to change up this recipe to make it to your liking.
- Want it milder? Cut back on the horseradish and black pepper.
- Add more apple cider vinegar for extra zest and tanginess.
- Love some heat? Add in more horseradish and cayenne pepper.
How Long Will White BBQ Sauce Last?
Since this sauce is mayo-based, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep up to 1 week stored in an airtight container.
What To Serve With Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- BEST Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Easy London Broil
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Marinated Grilled Pork Tenderloin
More BBQ Sauce Recipes You’ll Love!
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- dash to ¼ teaspoon cayanne pepper
- Add all ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl. Whisk together until smooth and creamy. Cover and store in the refrigerator for 1 hour allowing flavors to marry.
- Will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.