This post may contain affiliate links.
Chocolate Chess Pie is rich and fudgy with a signature crackly top that’s seriously delicious! This simple recipe, made in just one bowl, is a classic Southern treat that’s every chocolate lover’s dream.
And, when it comes to one of the easiest, most over-the-top pies to make, look no further than Chocolate Chess Pie. This classic Southern dessert is so chocolaty and has a brownie-like texture. It has a slightly crunchy topping that forms while baking, making it totally irresistible.
Chocolate Chess Pie is so simple to make, too. By using a pre-made pie crust, this pie comes together in just a matter of minutes. I’ve also added in chopped pecans for an added bit of texture and flavor.
Ingredients For Chocolate Chess Pie
- Pre-made Pie Crust
- Granulated Sugar
- Powered Cocoa
- Evaporated Milk
- Chopped Pecans
How To Make This Recipe
This pie is so easy to make that you’ll be wondering where the recipe has been all your life! As a bonus, you can use a store-bought shortcut with a pre-made pie crust. Here’s how this recipe comes together:
- Grab a bowl and mix all the ingredients.
- Pour everything into the prepared crust.
- Bake then chill to set.
- Slice and serve!
Success Tip #1: Check the pie shell after the first 10 minutes and if it’s getting too brown, cover with a pie crust shield. If you don’t have one, just make your own out of tin foil. This will keep the pie crust from burning.
Can I Leave Out The Nuts In This Recipe?
Yes, you sure can. The recipe will turn out great if you don’t want to add the pecans. Just follow the recipe instructions, omitting the nuts.
Success Tip #2: chill the pie for 2-3 hours or overnight to allow the filling to set.
How Long Will Chocolate Chess Pie Keep?
This pie will last about 2 days kept on the counter and up to 5 days stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
Ways To Serve This Pie
My favorite way to enjoy Chocolate Chess Pie is room temperature just the way it is. You can also serve it chilled, too. Here are a few ideas for serving:
- With slightly sweetened homemade whipped cream.
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Fresh fruit.
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love!
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Kitchen Sink Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Dip
- Southern Pound Cake
- Maple Bourbon Pecan Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together sugar, cocoa and melted butter with a whisk.
- Add evaporated milk, eggs and vanilla.
- If using, add pecans.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours or overnight to set. Slice and serve!