This post may contain affiliate links.
These savory cupcakes are the perfect make-ahead breakfast and great for busy families. With a new twist on a breakfast sandwich, you can make Sausage, Egg And Cheese Breakfast Cupcakes in just 30 minutes and stock your fridge or freezer for when you need a nourishing grab-and-go treat!
Whether you are rushing out the door in the morning for work, dropping off the kids at school, or heading to your desk at home, you need something for breakfast. Hopefully, that “something” is delicious, and filling without dragging you down for the day ahead.
Keeping those ideas in mind was what was happening when I can up with this recipe for Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Cupcakes. They check all the boxes for what I want for myself and my family when we need to get going on busy mornings.
What Makes These Breakfast Cupcakes So Special?
- At the top of the list is that they are loaded with 3 breakfast all-star ingredients – sausage, eggs and cheese!
- They can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
- These breakfast bites freeze beautifully, so you can have them on hand when you need them.
- Reheating is easy in the microwave or the oven.
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Cupcakes are great to serve on lazy weekends, for brunch and terrific as an afternoon snack!
Ingredients You Need To Make This Recipe
- Sliced Bread – whole wheat, white, gluten-free or whatever you like
- Large Eggs
- Whole Milk – 2% or low-fat can also be used
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Breakfast Sausage – cooked and crumbled
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Fresh Chives
How To Make Savory Breakfast Cupcakes
This is one of those easy to prep and bake recipes that’s ideal for busy people.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Coat the bottom of a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Place 3 to 4 pieces of prepared bread(cut into pieces with crust removed) in the bottom of each cupcake well, making sure to cover the bottom and most of the sides.
- Divide the cooked and crumbled sausage among the 12 cupcakes. Layer on cheese.
- Ladle egg mixture over the sausage and cheese. Sprinkle on chives. Place in oven and cook approximately 18-20 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and enjoy.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead Of Time
You bet! Make the breakfast cupcakes ahead of time, then store them in an airtight container or zip-top bag in the refrigerator. To reheat, place the Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Cupcake on a microwave-safe dish and heat until warmed through.
How To Freeze Savory Breakfast Cupcakes
Freeze breakfast cupcakes in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. You can also wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap, then reheat when needed. Before serving, thaw them overnight in the fridge before warming them up or add a little extra reheating time.
Want To Customize This Recipe? Here’s How
There are so many ways to change up this recipe and make it your own!
- Change out the cheddar cheese for – pepper jack, smoked Gouda, Swiss or Fontina.
- Instead of sausage, add cooked chopped bacon or ham.
- Leave out the meat and add sautéed spinach, mushrooms, broccoli or peppers and onions.
What To Serve With Sausage Egg And Cheese Breakfast Cupcakes
I like to serve these savory cupcakes for breakfast, brunch, or as an afternoon snack. Here’s what I serve alongside:
- Fruit Salad
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- 3-Ingredient Fruit Dip
- Blueberry Scones
- Orange Glazed Muffins
- Cinnamon Skillet Apples
Last But Not Least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
Sausage Egg And Cheese Breakfast Cupcakes
- 10 pieces of bread – crusts cut off and sliced on the diagonal into 4 pieces each
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sausage – cooked and crumbled
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 3 to 4 pieces of cut bread in the bottom of each cupcake well, making sure to cover bottom and most of the sides.
- Divide sausage among the 12 cupcakes. Layer on cheese.
- Ladle eggs mixture over the sausage and cheese. Sprinkle on chives. Place in oven and cook approximately 18 minutes or until eggs are set and top in golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool.
- Enjoy immediately or or store in an airtight container in refrigerator.