This post may contain affiliate links.
Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole is a great addition to any meal! It’s pure comfort food that’s easy to make and is always a crowd-pleaser at family gatherings, potlucks, and a must for breakfast or brunch.
That’s why it was fitting that I add this recipe to my list of potato recipes. Hashbrown Casserole is a classic recipe that’s been around for years. I’ve skipped the gloppy canned soup and put my own spin on things with the addition of 2 kinds of cheese and extra seasoning for a mix of flavors that are outstanding.
Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole is a smash hit side dish that not only is easy to make but can also be prepped and made ahead of when you want to serve it.
Ingredients You Need For This Recipe
- Frozen Hashbrowns – thawed
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Pepper
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
PRO-TIP: shred your own cheese! You have more flavor and the perfect texture for all your recipes.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead Of Time?
You bet! Just make it the evening before you want to serve it, wrap with foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, take it out of the oven, and bake.
You can also make it ahead and freeze! Put the casserole together ahead of time, tightly cover with plastic wrap then in tin foil then freeze. Thaw completely and proceed to cook per instructions.
Tips For Making Hashbrown Casserole
- This dish is PERFECT for a potluck or for entertaining as it holds 8 to 10 servings. Make it in a disposable metal baking dish for easy serving and clean up
- Be your own chef by changing up the cheddar cheese with any you like. It’s delicious with smoke Gouda or pepper jack.
What To Serve With This Recipe
This casserole will become your go-to side dish that your family will love. Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve it with:
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Ham And Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 5-Ingredient Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Sausage And Egg Breakfast Bake
- Sheet Pan Hamburger Steak With Mushrooms And Onions
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love!
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Southern Sweet Potato Pie
- Sheet Pan Potatoes And Brats
Last But Not Least…
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating. I always love hearing from you! Also, if you make it, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photo.
Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole
- 2 pounds shredded potatoes or bagged hashbrowns
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter – melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter bottom of 9 by 13 baking dish. Place hash browns evenly in bottom of dish and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Gently stir to combine.
- In a small sauce pan, heat milk, butter, salt and garlic powder just until butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Pour milk mixture over potatoes and cheese.
- Sprinkle on pepper, chives and Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until cheese is browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.