This post may contain affiliate links.
Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole is a great side addition to any meal! It’s pure comfort food that’s easy to make and is always a crowd-pleaser at family gatherings, potlucks and a must for breakfast or brunch.
It’s really hard for me to think of a potato dish that I don’t love. Whether it’s an Air Fried Baked Potato, Scalloped Potatoes or Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes, I’m a fan!
That’s why it was fitting to add this recipe to my list of potato recipes. This Cheesy Potato Casserole is a classic recipe that’s been around for years. I’ve skipped the gloppy canned soup and put my own spin on things with the addition of 2 kinds of cheese and extra seasoning for a mix of flavors that are outstanding.
In terms of cheesy potato recipes, Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole tops them all and is a smash hit side dish that not only is easy to make, but can also be prepped and made ahead of when you want to serve it.
Ingredients You Need For This Recipe
- Frozen Hashbrowns – thawed
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Pepper
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
Commonly Asked Questions With Answers
You bet! Just make it the evening before you want to serve it, wrap it with foil or plastic wrap, and store it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, take it out of the oven, and bake.
You can also make it ahead and freeze! Put the hash brown potato casserole together ahead of time, tightly cover it with plastic wrap, then in tin foil, then freeze. Thaw completely and proceed to cook per instructions.
Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese to suit your taste preferences. Cheddar cheese is commonly used in cheesy hashbrown casserole recipes, but you can try variations like Monterey Jack, Swiss, or a combination of different cheeses for a unique flavor profile.
Tips For Making Hashbrown Casserole
- This dish is PERFECT for a potluck or for entertaining as it holds 8 to 10 servings. Make it in a disposable metal baking dish for easy serving and clean up
- Enhance the flavor by adding diced onions, minced garlic, or chopped green onions to the casserole.
- After rinsing the grated potatoes, place them in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible. This will help the casserole hold its shape and prevent it from becoming watery.
What To Serve With This Recipe
This casserole will become your go-to side dish that your family will love. Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve it with:
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Ham And Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 5-Ingredient Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Sausage And Egg Breakfast Bake
- Sheet Pan Hamburger Steak With Mushrooms And Onions
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love!
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Crushed Potatoes With Homemade Ranch
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter bottom of 9 by 13 baking dish. Place hash browns evenly in bottom of dish and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Gently stir to combine.
- In a small sauce pan, heat milk, butter, salt and garlic powder just until butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Pour milk mixture over potatoes and cheese.
- Sprinkle on pepper, chives and Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until cheese is browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.