This is one of those incredible dishes where you can make your whole dinner in just one pan. Yes! Tender chicken and pasta cooked in a rich tomato sauce then topped off with Parmesan cheese come together in a skillet in less than 45 minutes.
Honestly, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like pasta. Of course, that includes me, but these days I’m really trying to watch the number of carbs I eat and that puts me in a real quandary when it comes to enjoying a bowl of noodles. I need to balance eating what I love, eating what I should eat all while trying to come up with a satisfying meal for the family. I think they are many folks in the same boat so I decided to work on a few recipes that could help solve this dinner problem.
Since I needed to come up with a recipe to cut carbs without sacrificing taste, I started by picking chicken as my main source of protein then build my dish around it. Then I played around with an ingredient list to add on layers of flavor. Last but not least, I added in my pasta but was able to cut the amount in half of what is usually used in chicken Parmesan. I was able to do so by using this winning strategy, I cooked my dish in my cast iron skillet turning it into a “one-pot wonder” which is one of my all-time favorite ways to cook. Here’s how my “Skillet Chicken Spaghetti” comes together ~
Next, start cooking your pasta. While the water starts to boil, make your sauce. Once the pasta is cooked to al dente, put it into your sauce and slightly mix.
Nestle in your chicken and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese. Put the skillet in the oven, set to broil. Set the timer for 2 minutes. Check it after about 1 1/2 minute and when the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, you are done!
Skillet Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound spaghetti (about 1/2 box)
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to broil.
- In a cast iron or heavy skillet, heat olive oil. Sprinkle chicken with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in hot skillet and cook on both sides until done. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Heat water in a large pot. Cook pasta according to package direction until al dente, being careful not to over cook.
- Heat skillet on low temperature. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for additional minute. Gently pour in crushed tomatoes and stir to incorporate cooked ingredients. Add salt, pepper and sugar and cook for 5 minutes. Add cooked spaghetti and gently stir it into the sauce. Add chicken chunks into skillet, nestling into spaghetti. Sprinkle cheese over spaghetti and chicken and place on rack in oven.
- Broil chicken spaghetti until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling around edges of skillet.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with addition cheese and parsley if desired.