Garden fresh tomatoes and herbs tossed with mozzarella in a two ingredient dressing might just be the most simple, most delicious salad ever! Things this good just don’t need to be complimented.
I’ve been a fan of Caprese Salad for years. There just something about fresh, sweet tomatoes with soft Mozzarella cheese. When it’s served and I get that first little waft of fresh basil, my mouth starts watering and honestly, I get downright giddy. I love that this salad is dressed simply with a splash of good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. It’s like summer in every single bite!
My super simple version of a Caprese Salad takes out about fifty percent of the work needed (which the salad’s not hard to make to start with) to make this recipe. I use Mozzarella “pearls” which you’ll find along side regular Mozzarella in the grocery and grape tomatoes. I have pots of herbs growing right outside my back door, so I just pluck off some basil leaves, tear them up a bit and add them to the bowl for a bright burst of fresh flavor. I add a bit of olive oil and balsamic to a mason jar with salt and pepper, shake then drizzle over the tomatoes, cheese and basil. That’s it. Now comes the good part, enjoying this lovely creation!
Ways to serve Super Simple Caprese Salad:
- on it’s own for lunch or as a side dish at supper.
- with crusty bread as an appetizer.
- over pasta for a light lunch or dinner.
- piled on “take out” pizza for a fresh new twist.
- add in tuna or rotisserie chicken, a bit of cooked pasta for a great protein packed salad.
Super Simple Caprese Salad
- 1 pint grape tomatoes - cut in half
- 8 ounces Mozzarella pearls or cubes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves - torn
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Add tomatoes, cheese and basil to a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or mason jar, mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Pour over salad and gently toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
- **Best served at room temperature. Can be stored in refrigerator for two days.
Want to save this recipe? Then make sure to PIN it HERE!