Salad for a crowd with fresh greens, veggies and cheese is a great dish for parties, covered dish suppers or any celebration when you’re feeding lots of folks. Top is with an easy to make vinaigrette to make the best dish on the buffet table!
Last night, approximately 75 parents and their sons gathered in our high school cafeteria for Spirit Night – the kick off to lacrosse season. Our food committee organized this fun event so that the boys could enjoy a meal together, parents could meet each other and the coaches could get us fired up for the season. Every family was asked to bring a main dish along with either a side or dessert. I provided my baked ravioli along with a huge salad and homemade dressing.
I made the salad because I felt the need to get something green into those boys who have been working hard for weeks getting ready for the season. I used a metal casserole pan to hold loads of fresh greens, then piled on rows of fresh veggies (that way folks can choose the ingredients they like) and two kinds of cheese. I made my favorite vinaigrette dressing in a big jar so that everyone could drizzle on the amount they wanted. Truth be told, several of those young men did eat those yummy greens but really the parents were the ones who devoured the salad.
It really didn’t matter, I was just glad to see those boys together, sharing a meal, laughing, talking and kidding around with their parents. There’s something special about high school sports and I am so excited that my guy is involved with this team. There’s the sticks, balls and helmets, muddy cleats, stinky socks, band-sids, ice packs and heating pads. Best of all, there are the late night meals sharing about what happened at school, reviewing the plays of the game and through it all, whether we win or lose, I’ll be right there, loving on my boy and cheering him on.
Salad For A Crowd
Fresh green salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and cheeses that will feed a crowd.Print Rate
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 3 heads of romaine lettuce - washed and chopped
- 1 large bag of spring mix salad
- 1 container grape tomatoes - washed
- 1 large cucumber - washed and sliced
- 1 small container button mushroom - cleaned and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper - seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 red onion - cut into strips
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- In a large pan, place lettuces and mix together.
- Layer in rows the tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, peppers, onions and cheeses.
- Gently lay a damp paper towel over salad then over with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
ADDITIONAL IDEAS - for salad toppings - sliced boiled eggs, bacon, grilled chicken, blue cheese, banana peppers, feta cheese, carrots, celery. Theme salads - Greek, Cobb, Mexican or your own special combination of ingredients.
Pin this recipe HERE to save!