Cream cheese and Olives is a retro recipe that folks LOVE! Cool cream cheese, mixed with chopped olives makes a savory dip with fresh veggies or a delectable spread for thinly sliced bread. One taste of this classic recipe and you’ll be hooked.
Growing up, there was always homemade pimento cheese in the fridge and about every other week or so, this great treat would show up. The best cream cheese and olives EVER came from My Aunt Geraldine. Her spread was smooth, creamy with the olives chopped to just the perfect size. Most of the time it was served on cool, crunchy celery sticks and at other times it was spread on white, crustless bread cut into little triangles.
This recipe comes together in no time with just a few ingredients. I’m sharing my version of the original cream cheese and olives but there are great ways to give it a modern twist. Starting with the basic recipe, you could add chopped pecans, black olives, blue cheese or fresh herbs. It’s good no matter how you make it, so, get creative then grab some crunchy veggies and you’ve got a great appetizer in minutes. Sometimes, going old school is just what’s needed…
Cream Cheese and Olives
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese - room temperature
- 1/2 cup green olives with pimento - chopped
- 2 tablespoons brine/juice from green olive jar
- 1/4 teaspoon (or more) Texas Pete or your favorite hot sauce
- Drain green olives with pimentos, saving juice then coarsely chop.
- In a food processor or blender, add cream cheese, brine and hot sauce and blend until smooth.
- Fold in chopped olives & pimentos.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with celery sticks or as a sandwich.