Sweet, tart and salty is what a Grapefruit Salty Dog is all about! It’s refreshing and a great simple, summer cocktail with a fresh burst of citrus flavor.
This drink, right here, is my new FAV summer cocktail! Normally, I’m not a big “mixed drink” kind of girl but when I was introduced to a Salty Dog, I became an instant fan. I’ve always loved grapefruit juice so that was a plus but then when you add salt on the rim of the glass, well, I was all in.
This is a light and refreshing drink that’s perfect for sipping on during the hot summer months. When we’re at the coast, I like to enjoy a cocktail over ice and this one is perfect for that. I don’t want a drink that heavy on sugar, or has too many ingredients in it. I want to keep things simple so that I can spend more time enjoying the sand and surf.
A Salty Dog is really a Greyhound with salt added. I make mine with ruby red grapefruit juice and some fresh squeezed fruit to give it an extra tart flavor. Vodka is my liquor of choice but Gin is also a good choice if that’s what you prefer.
Here’s what you need to make a Grapefruit Salty Dog
- Grapefruit juice – fresh or bottled
- Vodka or Gin
- Salt – I use pink Himalayan
- Lime and Grapefruit slices for garnish
So here’s to simple things that make summertime extra special…cheers!
- 1 1/2 ounce Vodka
- 5-6 ounces Pink grapefruit juice - fresh or bottled
- sea salt - I use Pink Himalayan
- lime slices
- grapefruit slices
- Rub the rim of a glass with lime slices, then dip into sea salt. Fill glass with ice, pour in vodka then grapefruit juice. Stir and garnish with fruit slices
Make sure to PIN this recipe HERE to SAVE it!