Beef roast, cooked with your slow cooker in Guinness stout for robust flavor and mouthwatering tenderness is a dish you’ll crave any time of year. Spring may be right around the corner, but you won’t care once you’ve taken a bite of this Irish beef stew.
I have several different pot roast recipes and they are all good but, I think I’ve found my pot of gold with this combination of ingredients. This past weekend, I decided to try something new, in honor of my Irishman, Mr. A Southern Soul. I had thawed a big, beautiful chuck roast and had been scheming about what to do with it. With St. Patrick’s Day a week away and that being my man’s birthday, I decided to try adding Guinness Stout as my one of the key ingredients to my dish.
I knew that the stout would give the meat a smooth flavor while tenderizing it. The next key flavor I added was black pepper but not just any black pepper. Several weeks ago, my oldest son, surprised me with a bag of Bourbon Barrel Smoked Black Pepper from our local spice shop. I was taken with it’s flavor from the first time I used it. It’s slightly spicy and has a distinct smokey aroma that makes any beef dish outstanding.
Like most of my other slow cooker, roast recipes, I added onion, carrots, garlic, some concentrated tomato paste and salt. That was it. Simple and straight forward. After about 8 hours in the slow cooker, I had an incredible beef roast that I new my guy was going to love. This is one dish that you’ll be happy to serve any night of the week yet special enough for entertaining. Oh, and don’t forget…St. Patrick’s Day, too!
Slow Cooker Irish Pot RoastPrint Pin Rate
- 1 large onion - sliced thick
- 4 carrots - cut into chunks
- 4 pound chuck roast (I used bone in)
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste (from a tube)
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Black Pepper (if you cannot find the blend I used, try any smoked pepper)
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Place sliced onion in bottom of slow cooker. Add beef roast on top of onion and scatter carrots around sides.
- In a small bowl, add Guinness stout, tomato paste and garlic. Mix well. Pour over beef. Sprinkle over salt and pepper. Place lid on slow cooker. Set controls on low for 8 hours.
- When beef is done, slice and serve.
Wondering what to serve with this new recipe? Here’s a few suggestions ~
Fried Cabbage & Bacon | Cheese Grits Casserole | Roasted Broccoli | Roasted Potatoes & Peas | Garlic Parmesan Skillet Rolls
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
PIN TO SAVE and don’t forget to FOLLOW A SOUTHERN SOUL on PINTEREST
Want more recipes from A Southern Soul? You can get them delivered right to your mailbox by subscribing. Thanks!