This post may contain affiliate links.
Tender, juicy grilled chicken gets an extra boost of flavor from lemons. This simple, flavorful recipe for Grilled Lemon Chicken has so many uses. From the main dish to chicken salad, sandwiches, and pasta, this is a recipe you’ll make over and over!
This simple recipe for Grilled Lemon Chicken has become one of my “every other week” must-make dishes. Most of the time I make a double batch which means we enjoy the chicken with fresh veggies for dinner, and then I use the extra for chicken salad, sandwiches, or pasta. Simple, quick, and packed with flavor…so simple and oh, so good!
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- Chicken – use whatever cut of chicken you like. Bone in or not works great as well.
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Parsley
What Makes This Grilled Lemon Chicken So Good?
There are two secrets to making this simple recipe so good!
- The marinade. This may not seem like a big deal, but marinating the chicken imparts extra flavor. Add the chicken and lemons to a zip top bag along with the marinade and let it chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours. I don’t recommend marinating for longer than that since the lemon juice will start to break down the chicken.
- Grilled lemons. Grilled lemons have a slightly smokey sweet flavor that when squeezed over the chicken bring out a bright freshness that is irresistible!
Can Chicken Thighs Be Substituted For Chicken Breasts?
Absolutely! You can use the cut of chicken that you like for this recipe.
Can This Recipe Be Make In The Oven?
If you don’t have a grill, don’t worry, this recipe can be made on a stovetop grill pan or in the oven.
To cook in the oven, heat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on a baking sheet. Roast the chicken for 15-18 minutes until cooked through and slightly golden on the top. I do recommend using an instant-read thermometer. The chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165 in the thickest part of the breast.
What To Serve With Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Easy Roasted Broccoli
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Noodles
- Skillet Green Beans
- Roasted Carrots With Honey And Lemon
I really love making recipes like this one that does double and sometimes triple duty. That not only save time but money as well. Here’s to being creative in the kitchen!
More Great Recipes That Do Double Duty!
- Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Sweet Heat BBQ Chicken
- Crock Pot Sweet & Savory Ham
- Cranberry Pecan Slaw
- Busy Day Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Last but not least…
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating. I always love hearing from you! Also, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram.
Grilled Lemon Chicken
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon – sliced
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon – quartered
- fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a large zip top bag along with sliced lemon and thyme. Pour olive oil mixture over chicken. Seal bag and place in refrigerator to marinate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat grill to medium high heat. Place chicken on grill and cook until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove chicken from grill and tent with foil. Place lemon wedges on grill. Cook until seared on each side.
- Remove lemons from the grill and squeeze them over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately. Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Instructions For Cooking In The Oven
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on a baking sheet. Roast the chicken for 15-18 minutes until cooked through and slightly golden on the top. I do recommend using an instant-read thermometer. The chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165 in the thickest part of the breast.