This post may contain affiliate links.
Pimento Cheese is a classic southern recipe that’s rich, creamy and so easy to make. This cheesy spread made with pimentos and just the right amount peppery seasoning is perfect served with crackers, celery, as a sandwich, or slathered on a burger.
Have you ever tasted food that brings back fond memories? You know, a dish that you’ve fallen in love with at another time or place. One that you want to replicate and enjoy over and over again.
That’s what happens with Pimento Cheese. You get a flood of satisfying feelings when you take one bite of this amazing concoction. This dish is made with simple ingredients that are combined to make something incredibly delicious.
After one bite, you lean in, inspect it a bit, then go in for more. This Pimento Cheese is not fancy and has no extras – they are not needed. It’s as close as you can get to perfection in my book.
Ingredients Needed To Make The BEST Pimento Cheese
The secret to making the best Pimento Cheese is not just using excellent quality ingredients but it’s also about taking a little bit of time to do it right.
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Jarred Chopped Pimentos
- Cayanne Pepper
- Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper
How To Make Homemade Pimento Cheese
Over the years I’ve experimented with making Pimento Cheese and I always come back to the same tried and true classic recipe I grew up on. After gathering all the ingredients, here’s how to pull this recipe together:
- Shred the cheese. Yep, you’ve got to do this yourself. You can use a box grater or a food processor. There’s really no substitute for grating your own. Store-bought, pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking additives that really mess with the taste and texture of Pimento Cheese.
- Mix the cream cheese, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper until creamy. This gives a nice smooth base to start with.
- Add in the cheeses and pimentos last. This allows each of the ingredients to stand on their own and not get lost.
How To Serve Pimento Cheese
There are so many ways to savor Pimento Cheese. Once you’ve tasted it, your mind will start to spin with ways to enjoy it.
- A combo of Pimento Cheese and crackers is always a winner. I like to load up a platter with different types of crackers, including “old-school” saltines along with a chilled bowl of Pimento cheese. For casual entertaining, this is the way to go!
- Slather Pimento Cheese between 2 slices of bread for a sandwich that’s crazy delicious! My personal favorite is toasted white bread with a generous layer of Pimento Cheese. I think I could live on this sandwich forever.
- Top grilled burgers with a heaping spoonful. AH-mazing!
- To lighten things up a bit, Pimento Cheese Stuffed Celery is so yummy.
- Use Pimento Cheese as a dip with fresh veggies or as an unexpected addition to a charcuterie board.
Try These For More Easy Snack Recipes…
- Mexican Corn Dip
- Pimento Cheese Sausage Dip
- Outrageously Good Stuffed Celery
- Pimento Cheese Bites
- Million Dollar Dip
Last But Not Least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 4 ounce jar chopped pimentos, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- salt to taste
- Using a box grater or food processor, grate cheese.
- To a large bowl, add cream cheese, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Mix together using a hand mixer or wooden spoon. Add-in cheese and pimentos. Blend together until well mixed. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour prior to serving to chill and let flavors marry. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.