Every family needs an easy, go to slow cooker recipe for pot roast. This one has been in my “book” for years and never disappoints.
All you do is load up the cooker, plug it in, and leave the house….well, if you have stuff to do, which is most everyone one I know. I make gravy from the dripping & serve with roasted carrots and a crisp salad. Oh, don’t forget the bread….
It’s been a crazy week and I needed dinner and a couple of lunches so…I picked up this beauty at the the grocery.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and time…
In 6 to 8 hours, this is what you get!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Every family needs an easy, go to slow cooker recipe for pot roast. This one never disappoints.Print Pin Rate
- 1 2-3 lb beef roast
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Take roast out of fridge and let sit on counter for 30 minutes.
- Cut onion into thick slices and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Place roast on top of onions
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic and thyme.
- Pour beef broth around the sides of roast.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or 8 on low.
- To serve, I skim off fat and pour the dripping into a saute pan. Heat pan to medium low and reduce liquid by 1/3. Check for seasoning. If needed, thicken sauce with flour.
I do not add the carrots to the slow cooker. I've found they tend to get "mushy" with little flavor. I peel, and thickly slice carrots, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 450 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.