This post may contain affiliate links.
These easy-to-make sandwiches are juicy, cheesy, and loaded up with amazing flavors from leftover roast beef! Whether you’re making one for lunch, trying to use up leftovers, or you’re making a dozen for game day, Roast Beef and Cheese Sandwiches are a guaranteed winner!
Tender, juicy, flavorful roast beef – there’s just something about it. Whether braised or done in the slow cooker, it’s always a hit at my house. I love making my Busy Day Pot Roast, and recently, with one successful dinner done, I had enough roast beef left over for a second meal.
That’s where this dish comes in. Our family loves cheese steak sandwiches, and there is no doubt that leftovers make the best roast beef sandwich.
5 Days of Fall Cooking: Southern Style!
FREE Email Bonus: Get ready for your tastiest fall ever
Scroll down for measurements and instructions
Ingredients Needed To Make Roast Beef and Cheese Sandwiches
- Cooked Shredded Roast Beef
- Beef Stock – vegetable stock or broth can be substituted
- Onion – thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Hoagie Rolls
- Provolone Cheese
How To Make These Yummy Sammies
- Slice the rolls open and butter the top and bottom buns. Toast in the oven.
- In a medium size pan, heat the shredded leftover beef along with the stock. Cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Sauté the onions in butter until golden and soft.
- To build the sandwiches, on each roll, pile on a helping of the warm beef, top with shredded cheese, then place in the oven for 5–8 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Add the sautéed onions on top of the melted cheese and serve.
People Often Ask…
Some of my favorites are Cheddar Cheese, Muenster, Mozzarella, Blue Cheese, and even cheese sauce.
I like to use Hoagie Rolls since they are large and sturdy. You can load up all the toppings into them without worrying about your sandwich falling apart. You can also use sub rolls which are a little longer, or even a bun if you would prefer that kind of sandwich.
All kinds of things! Try sliced tomato, lettuce, arugula, mayonnaise, spicy mustard, pepper jack cheese, hot sauce, horseradish sauce, or jardinière.
No worries! You can use deli-style roast beef. Warm it in a large skillet with beef stock, a half teaspoon of garlic powder, and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
What To Serve With Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
More Recipes You’ll Love…
- Ham Jam Sandwich
- Mom’s BEST Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Sliders
- Southern Ham Salad
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- In a medium saucepan, add beef and stock. Bring to a low simmer. Continue to cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has reduced.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan, and add onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook onion until just slightly brown.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Gently open hoagie rolls, and spread butter on the insides of each. Place on a sheet tray and toast until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, place a large helping of roast beef on each roll. Sprinkle with cheese. Place in oven for 5–8 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the over, top with onions, and serve immediately.
- Sliced tomato, lettuce, arugula, mayonnaise, spicy mustard, pepper jack cheese, hot sauce, horseradish sauce, or jardinière
This recipe was originally published in February 2014 and updated in March 2023.