1 small head of cabbage cut into 1″ rounds
1/2 cup olive
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 carrots – diced
1 small onion – diced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 8 oz can small diced or crushed tomatoes – drained
4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat oven to 415 degrees.
- Place cabbage rounds on a 9 X 11 inch sheet pan lined with parchment.
- Pour 1/4 cup olive oil in a small dish. Using a grater or micro plane, grate 1 clove of garlic into olive oil. Brush or spoon garlic oil on each of cabbage rounds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for approximately 20 minutes. When outside of rounds are dark brown and crisp, flip, spread with remaining olive oil. Return to oven and roast for another 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven to cool.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot on medium low heat. Add carrots and onions. Saute until onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes and thyme. Cook with onions and carrots for one minute. Add stock to pot. Stir to incorporate vegetables and herbs. Add tomatoes and stir.
- Cut cabbage rounds into large chunks (discard very dark edges) and add to stock pot. Drizzle in red wine vinegar. Bring soup up to a boil then reduce to a simmer uncovered for 20 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Serve soup with a dash of hot sauce or chopped chives.
- Can be frozen in ziptop bags.