This post may contain affiliate links.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can turn store-bought puff pastry into the tastiest cheese straws ever! Parmesan cheese and my house seasoning add incredible flavor to these little twists that are perfect as an appetizer or alongside soups and salads.
This is one of those recipes that I’ve been making for years but never bothered to write down. I have no idea why that is. Maybe it’s because these cheese straws are so easy to make that I just assumed everybody knew how to make them. Well, that is for sure not true.
I recently had a girlfriend over for lunch and served these golden twists with a bowl of soup, and she went nuts over them. When I started telling her how to make them, she said, “I’ll just look it up on your blog.” Uh, hold on now, there’s no such recipe on the blog. Until now.
These cheese straws are so addictive that it is hard to stop nibbling on them. I think it’s due to the combination of Parmesan and my house seasoning which is a blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
With the addition of a little olive oil, the pastry bakes up with a golden color and the paprika turns the cheese into rich, little brown sprinkles.
Ingredients For Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- Puff Pastry – I use Pepperidge Farms, which you can find in the frozen section at the grocery.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- A Southern Soul House Seasoning
How Do You Make This Recipe
This is a simple recipe that comes together in no time!
- Thaw the pastry and roll it out.
- Brush on olive oil, then sprinkle with house seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
- Cut into long strips then twist and place on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake until puffed and golden brown.
How Long Do You Bake The Cheese Straws?
The cheese straws are baked in a 375-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. At the 10-minute mark, start keeping an eye on them so that they do not burn.
Once the cheese straws come out of the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes then serve.
Substitutions And Additions
Keeping things simple with this recipe is one of the keys to its success. You can make a few changes if you like.
- Change the cheese. You could add shredded smoked Gouda or Romano for a bit more intensity.
- Add Cayenne pepper for some heat.
- Sprinkle on your favorite seasoning blend like Italian, lemon pepper or za’atar
What To Serve With Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
You know what? You can serve these cheese straws with just about anything! Here are some of my favorites:
- Easy Homemade Meatballs with marinara. Add in a fresh salad with Greek Salad Dressing.
- Award Winning Southern Soul Chili or White Chicken Chili.
- Healthy Mushroom Soup and Easy Caprese Salad.
- Cheesy Italian Sausage Ravioli Bake
Serve These Dipping Sauces Alongside!
Last But Not Least…
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating. I always love hearing from you! Also, if you make it, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photo.
Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- 1 sheet puffed pastry (store bought)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese – grated
- 2 tablespoons house seasoning
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 11×17″ baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out pastry on floured surface to approximately a 10×12 inch square. Brush on olive oil all the way to the edges of the pastry. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and house seasoning evenly over puffed pastry. Cut crosswise into 12 inch strips. Twist strips and place on baking sheet. Scrape up any additional cheese and seasoning and sprinkle over twists.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes being careful not to burn but making sure pastry is cooked. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve