This post may contain affiliate links.
Soft and tender on the inside, with a delicious crackly crust on the outside, this Cheese and Green Chile Cornbread is a family-favorite recipe all year round! Whether you’re serving it with a bowl of homemade Chili or a pot of Vegetable Soup, you can’t beat the wholesome warm flavors in this homemade cornbread.
As a southerner, I was born and raised on Cast-Iron Cornbread, there’s just something special about it. As much as I love a classic cornbread, this version might be my new favorite. Adding creamed corn, cheddar cheese, and green chiles takes this cornbread to the next level!
Cornbread is one of the most versatile side dishes out there. You can serve it with anything from cookout foods to soups and stews. With just 12 ingredients and 10 minutes of preparation, you can serve this delicious, flavorful cornbread made from scratch.
The subtle flavor of the melted cheddar combined with the bright spiciness of the chilies is a match made in heaven. Whether you’re cooking for a weeknight meal, a potluck, or a family cookout, this recipe is destined to become a family favorite in no time!
Ingredients Needed To Make Cheese and Green Chile Cornbread
- Creamed Corn – either one 8.5 oz can or 1 cup of homemade Creamed Corn
- Yellow or White Cornmeal
- Vegetable Oil
- Cheddar Cheese
- Hot Sauce – I use Texas Pete
- Canned Chopped Green Chilies
- Baking Soda
Scroll down for the ingredient measurements and full instructions.
People Often Ask…
Now, I’m not comparing baking cornbread to baking cakes, but the test to see when both a done is the same. You want to grab a cake tester or a toothpick and poke it straight into the middle of the cornbread. When you remove the tester, if it comes out clean it’s done baking, if there is batter or crumbles on it then you should bake for another 5-10 minutes.
If your cornbread falls apart or crumbles when you cut it, then it’s probably due to overmixing. You want to stir the ingredients until they are JUST combined, you don’t any dry ingredients visible but you also don’t want to over combine the ingredients.
This is really up to personal preference. You can absolutely flip the cornbread out of the cast iron and onto a plate, like you would a cake, if you want to serve it that way. Personally, I’ve always served my cornbread straight out of the cast iron skillet, but it’s your dish to serve how you’d like.
What To Serve With Cheese and Green Chile Cornbread
- Southern Style Chicken Stew
- Award-Winning Southern Soul Chili
- Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Healthy Mushroom Soup
- Skillet Beef Stew
- 1 can (8.25 oz) of creamed corn
- 2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce – I use Texas Pete
- ½ can of chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and mix well.
- Put butter in a 9″ cast iron skillet and place in oven. A 9X9 inch oven proof dish can be used as well.
- When butter is melted, pour in batter and bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes or until cornbread is brown around edges.
- Remove from oven and serve with additional butter.