I knew first thing this morning that it was going to be a very busy day for our family. I was prepared and got my slow cooker going with one of our favorite’s – black bean soup. Everyone hit the ground running and I said my prayers, gave hugs, kisses and told ’em I’d see them soon.
Cheese & Green Chile Cornbread
- 1 can (8.25 oz) of creamed corn
- 2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce - I use Texas Pete
- 1/2 can of chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and mix well.
- Put butter in a 9" cast iron skillet and place in oven. A 9X9 inch oven proof dish can be used as well.
- When butter is melted, pour in batter and bake for approximately 20 - 25 minutes or until cornbread is brown around edges.
- Remove from oven and serve with additional butter.