Tomato Cucumber Salad is a refreshing dish that packs a punch of fresh flavor. It’s simple to make with a bright dressing full of herbs. This is one delightful salad that’s like a burst of summer on your plate!
When I’m craving food that’s fresh, this salad is one of the only things guaranteed to satisfy my taste buds. It’s bright, crisp, and full of garden-grown goodness. I’ve had homegrown veggies on my mind the past few weeks since it seems like it’s been an exceptionally long winter. Maybe I should state that differently. It’s been cold, rainy, snowy and on some days, dreadful. That’s why I had to come up with a few recipes that would cheer me up and put a little pep in my step.
How to make Tomato Cucumber Salad
The key to making this salad is to pick out the best tomatoes and cucumbers you can find in the grocery store. I’ve found that grape tomatoes have a sweet flavor along with a meatier texture that makes them excellent in salads. For the cucumbers, I use “english” cukes for a couple of reasons. They are tender, crunchy, and are seedless. After slicing up the two main stars of my salad, I like to add in some onion because, in my book, you just have to have it.
When it comes time to pulling this salad together, the dressing is key. I don’t care for salads that are overdressed with a thick, gloppy dressing that hides all the beautiful, fresh ingredients. That’s why picking out just a few simple, pantry staples to blend together is the BEST way to achieve a great finish to your salad. I use good olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, dried herbs, a pinch of sugar, and just the right amount of salt and pepper to bring all the flavors together. It’s a glorious thing! You can bring a little bit of summer into your life any time of the year and this salad proves it.
More great salad recipes:
- 1 pint grape tomatoes – sliced in half
- 1 English cucumber – sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion – thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Place tomatoes, cucumbers and onions in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a mixing cup or small bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Using a whisk, blend until well mixed. Pour dressing over tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Toss salad.
- Can be served immediately or stored in the fridge, covered for up to 2 days.
- ***If making the salad ahead of serving, use half of dressing to toss salad and reserve half to add in later.
Pin this recipe HERE to save!
Need More Salad Inspiration?
This collection of 15 Fresh Salads To Brighten Up Any Meal is my go-to for easy-to-make recipes. They are terrific served as a side dish, snack, and are great to turn into a main meal. With these simple, delicious recipes, you can enjoy the fresh flavors of summer all year long!
How To Make Salad Dressing At Home
For the best flavors at a fraction of the cost, make your own salad dressing at home and skip the bottled stuff! These 5 dressings are my go-to recipes when I want to bring out the BEST in any salad.