This recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Legs is the best for perfectly seasoned drumsticks without heavy breading and extra oil. They are juicy on the inside with mouthwatering, crispy, crunchy skin and ready to serve in just 25 minutes.
Serve these air fried chicken legs with Stuffed Baked Potatoes and a crispy Green Salad for an easy-to-make, wholesome meal.
Hey there! Do you love fried chicken legs but hate all the breading and the hassle of cooking it on the stove? Well, I have a solution that might make your day!
Have you tried cooking chicken legs in the air fryer? It’s super easy, and the results are absolutely delicious. There’s no question that there’s nothing like classic, crispy Southern fried chicken, but sometimes you need a quick recipe to satisfy your taste buds.
Why I Love This Recipe
- It’s easy! With 5 simple ingredients, this recipe is super easy to prep.
- I can have the best chicken cooked and ready to serve in just 25 minutes.
- Chicken Legs are inexpensive, making them perfect for a family meal or when I’m feeding a crowd.
- It is dependable. Like my Whole Chicken cooked in the air fryer, chicken legs in the air fryer turn out perfectly every time.
Pin This Recipe
Air Fryer Chicken Legs Recipe Ingredients
- Bone-in Skin-on Chicken Legs (Drumsticks) – choose the same size so they will cook evenly.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning – I use Weber Zesty Lemon Seasoning.
- Paprika – Smoked Paprika can be substituted if you like a more intense flavor.
- Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt
Are Chicken Legs The Same As Drumsticks?
Most folks, including me, use the terms “drumstick” and “chicken leg” interchangeably. The chicken leg is actually the entire leg, with the thigh and drumstick combined.
How To Cook Chicken Legs In The Air Fryer
- Take the chicken out of the packaging and pat dry.
- Place the chicken legs in a bowl and mix up the seasoning.
- Sprinkle the chicken liberally with the seasoning.
- Place in the air fryer and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Do not overcrowd the air fryer. The air must circulate around the chicken so it cooks evenly and the skin gets crispy. If necessary, work in batches.
How Long To Cook Chicken Legs In The Air Fryer
Set the air fryer temperature to 400 degrees. Preheat for 5 minutes, then place the chicken legs in the basket. Cook for 10 minutes, flip the chicken, and continue to cook for 10 minutes. If the chicken has not reached 165 degrees, cook for an additional 3-5 minutes at 400 degrees.
Commonly Asked Questions
The chicken legs should reach an internal temperature of 165°F to be safe to eat.
Flipping the chicken legs halfway through the cooking time is recommended to ensure even cooking and crispy chicken skin. You can also shake the basket of the air fryer to help crispy up the chicken skin.
You can coat your chicken legs with a teaspoon of olive oil or extra virgin olive oil before cooking them in an air fryer.
Yes, you can brush BBQ sauce on the chicken legs during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking for extra flavor.
What To Serve With Chicken Legs
- Best Caprese Pasta Salad (Fresh and Easy)
- Crock Pot Maple Bacon Green Beans
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Spaghetti Salad
- Easy Roasted Broccoli
- Classic Scalloped Potatoes
Tips For Making The Best Air Fried Chicken Legs
- Pat the chicken legs dry with paper towels before coating them with olive oil and spices. This will help the seasoning stick better to the chicken and also help to keep the skin crispy.
- If you want to make the chicken legs healthier, remove the skin before cooking them, or use skinless chicken breasts.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature to ensure the chicken legs are cooked to the right temperature.
More Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love!
If you tried this Air Fryer Chicken Legs Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
- 4-6 chicken legs bone-in/skin-on
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Remove chicken legs from packaging, pat dry, and place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add lemon pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Mix together and sprinkle over chicken legs.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Place the chicken in the basket of the air fryer. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. If not reached, when the timer goes off, continue to cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Remove chicken from the basket of the air fryer and serve hot or at room temperature.
Want To Know More About Air Frying?
If you are new to cooking with an Air Fryer or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Air Fryer like a pro!