This post may contain affiliate links.
This Air Fryer Whole Chicken is so easy to make! It’s tender and juicy on the inside with crispy skin that’s irresistible. With just 5 minutes of prep time and about an hour of cooking, you can have an incredible dish that will be the star of any meal. This low-carb, keto-friendly recipe will quickly become your favorite way to cook chicken.
I have long been a fan of roasted chicken. I’ve got recipes for Herb Butter Roasted Chicken With Potatoes, Perfect Roasted Lemon Chicken, and Chicken with Clementines. So, it’s easy to see that I really like roasted chicken. Since I’m so addicted to chicken recipes, it was only fitting that I come up with a recipe using my Air Fryer.
What makes the best roast chicken? Without a doubt, tender, juicy meat is a must. Then, when the bird is roasted perfectly, you’ll have crispy, skin that is seasoned to perfection. This is what you’ll get when cooking a whole chicken in the Air Fryer.
There’s no need for specialized roasting pans or constant basting. The convection cooking of the Air Fryer produces a beautiful, delicious bird that you won’t believe took only an hour to cook.
If you’re new to Air Frying, welcome to the party! There’s no need to be intimidated. After a bit of trial and error, you’ll become a pro to this new way of cooking. Not only does it cook food beautifully, but clean-up is also effortless. I load the metal basket and container into the dishwasher and wipe off the outside. It’s as easy as that.
Tips For Making Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- To prepare the chicken, remove any parts that may be in the cavity of the bird.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Making sure that the chicken is dry will ensure that the skin crisps up better. I lightly spray the chicken with olive oil. You can choose to skip this step if you like.
- Sprinkle the chicken liberally with the seasoning. Make sure you cover all sides of the bird.
- Start cooking the chicken with the BREAST SIDE DOWN. This is probably the most important step and one that you do not want to miss.
- Use an instant-read thermometer. The internal temperature should read 165 degrees when inserted into the thigh making sure the probe is not touching the bone.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving. I take the cooking basket out of the Air Fryer and place it on a hot pad to rest. Once the chicken has rested, I remove it from the basket and place it on a carving board to slice then serve.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Chicken
- Instant Pot Garlic and Herb Rice
- Spaghetti Salad
- Cheesy Ranch Potato Foil Packs
- Southern Pineapple Casserole
Last But Not Least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
- 1 4-5 pound whole chicken – inside packet removed
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 lemon – optional
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Lightly coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning and salt on all sides Place, breast side down, in the basket of Air Fryer. Set temperature to 360 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn chicken and continue to cook at 360 degrees for 15 minutes. Insert an instant-read thermometer. Chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Let chicken rest for 15 minutes. Carve, drizzle with fresh lemon juice and serve.
Want To Know More About Air Frying?
If you are new to cooking with an Air Fryer or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Air Fryer like a pro!