This post may contain affiliate links.
The Best Chili recipe starts off with beef and beans in a rich sauce is loaded with amazing flavor! That’s perfect for tailgating, game day, or when you’re feeding a crowd. Simmered for hours, its comfort food at its BEST.
Last weekend, I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride! I had chopped, cooked, and tasted chili for several days. The reason? I’d entered a Chili Challenge sponsored by our local Farmers Market. It’s a great event that brings together vendors with community partners and all money raised benefits the market. And had two great partners, Charles Sheppard from Sir Charles Gourmet BBQ Sauces and Tommy Neese from Neese’s Country Sausage so I was feeling pretty good about going up against some formidable competitors.
During my prep week, I’d made several different batches of chili and called on a few special taste testers to weigh in on my recipe, and thank goodness, they knew what they were doing! The days were flying by and then, finally, on Thursday night, everything came together and I had the recipe perfected. Friends…all that hard work paid off – we WON!
I am thrilled to share this award-winning recipe with you! It might look complicated but I can assure you it’s not.
Ingredients For The Best Chili
- Ground Beef
- Hot Breakfast Sausage
- Chili Powder
- Poblano Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- Concentrated Tomato Paste
- Crushed Tomatoes
- BBQ Sauce
- Spicy (Hot) BBQ Sauce
- Beef Stock
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dark Red Kidney Beans
- Black Beans
Readers Love This Chili
Chef D, January 2018
Melissa, March 2018
Alice, October 2019
Don’t Forget The Toppings!
This hearty chili is great with all kinds of extra toppings. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Shredded Cheddar or Pepper Jack Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh or Pickled Japapeños
- Hot Sauce
- Chopped Green Onions
- Tortilla Strips
- Chopped Red Onion
Can You Freeze This Chili?
You sure can! Just like my Creamy White Chicken Chili, this recipe is easy to freeze. After making the chili, let it cool then place it in a freezer-safe container with a lid. You can also put it in freezer-safe bags. Fill the bag, seal, and lay flat on a baking sheet. Once the chili freezes in the bag, it can be stored upright to save space in the freezer.
What To Serve With Award Winning Southern Soul Chili
- Sour Cream Corn Bread
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits
- Garlic Knots
- Quick And Easy Beer Bread
- Cheese Grits Casserole
- Instant Pot Garlic Herb Rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ poblano pepper – chopped
- 2 stalks celery – chopped
- 1 medium onion – minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic – minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 oz tomato paste – canned or from tube
- 1 16 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup your favorite Hot/Spicy BBQ sauce
- 12 oz lager Beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 2 cans (15oz) dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- In an extra-large stockpot or cast iron skillet, brown ground beef and sausage.
- Add chopped vegetables, except garlic, and cook until meats are cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Add chili powder, tomatoes, tomato paste, and BBQ sauces to the pot, mixing well. Scrape any bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook for about 15 minutes stirring often.
- Stir in beer, beef broth, minced garlic, Worcestershire, vinegar, and honey. Stir to blend ingredients.
- Simmer for about 1.5 hours stirring frequently allowing chili flavors to marry. If sauce gets too thick, add water in ¼ cup amounts.
- Add beans and cook another 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Serve with garnishes and extras – sour cream, scallions, grated cheese, hot sauce, jalapeños, hot cornbread.
- This recipe can be finished in the crock pot. Make chili sauce and put mixture in crock pot . Add beans and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Chili freezes well. Allow to cool, put in zip lock bags and lay flat in freezer for storage.
- You may purchase Sir Charles Gourmet BBQ Sauce from The Extra Ingredient in Greensboro, NC by calling toll free ~ 800-528-3618.
Love Comforting Soups, Stew, And Chilies?
17 soup, stew, and chili dishes are packed into one collection that’s sure to become your go-to all fall and winter. I’ve also included 11 “what to serve with soup” recipes to make the ultimate comfort food meal.