Sweet cornbread with creamed corn and sour cream is so easy to make! This moist cornbread starts out with a boxed mix then taken to a whole new level with just a few simple ingredients. It’s perfect served alongside soups, chilis, and stews or any dish you’re serving this fall.
I’m stating right here and now, this is not your average cornbread. If you’re from the South, you know how seriously we take our cornbread. I am a fan of the make it from scratch club but this time, I’ve stepped out and made this dish with a short cut. This recipe for Sour Cream Cornbread starts with a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. But hold on, there’s a little bit of magic that happens when creamed corn, sour cream, and a few other ingredients are added in.
What You Need To Make Sour Cream Cornbread
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Canned Cream Corn
- Sour Cream
- Vegetable Oil
- Cayenne Pepper – optional
Recently I’ve been on a soup kick. My slow cooker and dutch oven have been doing double duty making some amazing soups that are great for this time of year. One of my favorite weeknight meals is soup and salad because this combination is so easy satisfying after a long day. The paring of a fresh salad and a warm bowl of soup or chili is perfect but I found there was something missing. Bread. Yep, even those of us watching out for carbs need a little something extra when it comes time to truly enjoy a bowl of cozy soup.
Sour Cream Cornbread is one of those recipes that’s been around for years. I’ve had it at potluck suppers and tailgating parties. Folks absolutely go nuts over it mostly because it’s just so stinking good. It’s rich, dense and has just the right amount of sweetness. To make it my own, I added a touch of heat with some cayenne pepper and I baked it in a square baking pan to make it thicker. The results were incredible! A piece of this cornbread is just the thing to sop up all the wonderful flavors of any dish you are making this fall.
Cooking Tips For This Recipe
- Lightly grease your baking pan with either cooking spray or butter.
- You can use a 9×13 inch pan if you like thinner pieces of cornbread. You can also use a muffin tin with cupcake liners to make cornbread muffins.
- To give the bread even more texture, add in an addition 1/2 cup of thawed frozen corn to the batter before baking.
- Sour Cream Cornbread is a great make-ahead recipe. Once baked, cover with foil and store in the fridge. Heat in the oven when ready to serve.
- Drizzle with Hot Honey for an extra special kick!
What To Serve With Sour Cream Cornbread
- Southern Style Chicken Stew
- 15 Bean Soup
- Crock Pot Lemon Chicken
- Award-Winning Southern Soul Chili
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Irish Pot Roast
Sour Cream CornbreadPrint Pin Rate
- 1 8.5 ounce box, Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 14.75 ounce can, creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- dash salt
- Heat oven to 350 degreed. Lightly coat 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together cornbread mix, creamed corn, sour cream, oil, sugar, eggs, cayenne pepper, and salt. Pour into prepared pan. Bake in oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
***Like this recipe and want to save it? Pin it HERE!***
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!