This post may contain affiliate links.
Sweet, rich Sour Cream Cornbread is so delicious you’d never believe it’s a short-cut recipe! This moist cornbread recipe starts out with a boxed mix but it’s taken to a whole new level with just a few simple ingredients. Perfect served alongside soups, chilis, and stews, this recipe is destined to become a new family favorite!
I’m stating right here and now, this is not your average cornbread! If you’re from the South, you know how seriously we take our cornbread. I am a fan of the ‘make it from scratch’ club but this time, I’ve stepped out and made this dish with a short cut.
This recipe for Sour Cream Cornbread starts with a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. But hold on, there’s a little bit of magic that happens when creamed corn, sour cream, and a few other ingredients are added in. is one of those recipes that’s been around for years. I’ve had it at potluck suppers and tailgating parties. Folks absolutely go nuts over it mostly because it’s just so stinking good. It’s rich, dense and has just the right amount of sweetness.
To make it my own, I added a touch of heat with some cayenne pepper and I baked it in a square baking pan to make it thicker. The results were incredible! This dense, rich Sour Cream Cornbread is a welcome addition to any weeknight meal, potluck, or chili night! A piece of this cornbread is just the thing to sop up all the wonderful flavors of any dish you are making this fall.
What You Need To Make Sour Cream Cornbread
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Canned Cream Corn
- Sour Cream – I like to use Daisy Sour Cream but you can use what you have
- Vegetable Oil
- Cayenne Pepper – optional
How To Make Sour Cream Cornbread
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees, then lightly coat a 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray. Set that aside until you’re finished making the cornbread batter.
Add the jiffy cornbread mix, creamed corn, sour cream, oil, sugar, eggs, cayenne pepper and salt to a medium sized bowl and mix together until fully combined.
Pour cornbread mixture into prepared baking pan and place in oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then slice, serve, and enjoy!
Tips For Making Sour Cream Cornbread
- Lightly grease your baking pan with either cooking spray or butter.
- You can use a 9×13 inch pan if you like thinner pieces of cornbread. You can also use a muffin tin with cupcake liners to make cornbread muffins.
- To give the bread even more texture, add in an addition ½ cup of thawed frozen corn to the batter before baking.
- Sour Cream Cornbread is a great make-ahead recipe. Once baked, cover with foil and store in the fridge. Heat in the oven when ready to serve.
- Drizzle with Hot Honey for an extra special kick!
How To Serve This Recipe
Recently I’ve been on a soup kick. My slow cooker and Dutch oven have been doing double duty making some amazing soups that are great for this time of year. One of my favorite weeknight meals is soup and salad because this combination is so easy satisfying after a long day.
But the missing piece to that meal is, you guessed it, bread! This cornbread pairs perfectly with soups, stews, chilis and pretty much any kind of cozy recipe. Whether you’re cooking for your family or you’re cooking for a crowd, this recipe will certainly be a hit!
Recipes To Serve With Sour Cream Cornbread
- Southern Style Chicken Stew
- 15 Bean Soup
- Crock Pot Lemon Chicken
- Award-Winning Southern Soul Chili
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Irish Pot Roast
- Heat oven to 350 degreed. Lightly coat 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together cornbread mix, creamed corn, sour cream, oil, sugar, eggs, cayenne pepper, and salt. Pour into prepared pan. Bake in oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.