Full of deep, rich flavor, Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits Casserole takes comfort food to a whole new level! This simple recipe is excellent served alongside grilled steak, pork, and fish or anytime you’re craving a luscious, flavor-packed side dish.
My love affair with grits knows no ends. I grew up eating warm buttery grits for breakfast like just about everybody else in the South. There’s just something so incredibly good about creamy, smooth, perfectly seasoned grits that makes my mouth start to water.
With my passion for grits being what it is, I’ve expanded my repertoire of ways to enjoy them. I’ve added cheese along with just the right amount of seasoning and turned grits into a casserole that’s uncomplicated yet impressive.
I’ve taken one of my all-time favorite side dish recipes, Cheese Grits Casserole, and switched things up a bit. I’ve swapped out cheddar cheese for smoked gouda plus added in more spice from cayenne pepper. These subtle changes have kicked this baked treasure into something destined to become a classic in its own right.
What You Need To Make This Recipe
- Quick Cooking Grits
- Chicken Stock
- Smoked Gouda Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
This beautifully baked dish is the ideal “vehicle” for so many savory main dishes. Now, keep in mind, it’s a casserole. It’s cooked in the oven, uncovered allowing the grits and cheese to blend together while making a crispy topping. A big spoonful of cheesy grits casserole makes the perfect landing spot for any savory recipe!
What To Serve With Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits Casserole
- Grilled Marinated Pork Tenderloin
- Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Irish Pot Roast
- Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Brown Sugar Pork Loin
- Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
Let me know if you make this recipe! You can rate it below, leave me a comment, or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock can be substituted)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 1/2 cups smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- chopped parsley, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 11×7 inch casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water, stock, and milk to a low boil. Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Stir. Slowly pour in grits. Turn heat down to low and cook for 5 minutes stirring to make sure grits do not stick. Remove pot from the stove and let cool for 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs and melted, cooled butter. Add the mixture along with cheese to the grits and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 50 minutes until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.