It doesn’t matter if you call them Candied Jalapeños or Cowboy Candy, this sweet and spicy concoction is down right irresistible! With just a few ingredients, fresh jalapeños are turned into something extra special and perfect with burgers, sandwiches, salads and appetizers or anything else that suits your fancy.
Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve been doing quite a bit of celebrating. Our youngest son is graduating from high school and he also received his Eagle Scout award. With both of those events being major accomplishments, we’ve been attending parties, lunches, brunches and ceremonies. In between all of that, I was able to seek in a great “girls night” with two of my best friends. Jeannie, Hope and I meet through our kids when they were in elementary school. With similar personalities, we became fast friends and over the years, have grown closer, sharing many of life’s ups and downs. We knew this day would come – our “littles” would turn into young adults, and head out into the world, so it was fitting that we get together to share in this special time. After a few text messages were exchanged, we had a plan for our fun evening together and that’s when I went into party mode. I’d been wanting to try a new appetizer recipe for weeks and with these girls, I knew I could spring anything on them, even something like Cowboy Candy.
This recipe is so easy to make and can be used in loads of different ways. It has just a few ingredients and the total time spent at the stove is less than 30 minutes. Once the batch of Candied Jalapeños is cooked, they are put into jars, cooled and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy them.
What you’ll need to make Candied Jalapeños:
- one to one and half pounds of fresh jalapeños
- white sugar
- garlic power
- celery seed
- red pepper flakes
- ground turmeric
- apple cider vinegar
- food safe gloves
- pint jars with lids
I served my Candied Jalapeños spooned onto cool cream cheese. When I brought out this interesting appetizer to the girls, there was the expected, “what is that?” and “ooh, that looks good!” comments. Then, we grabbed some crackers and smeared on a big helping of that goodness. After the first bite, we were all three huge fans and started talking about all the ways we’d use it.
At the end of the evening, there’d been lots of stories told, past escapades remembered and so much laughter that sometimes we cried. It was absolutely wonderful. Good friends, sharing a great evening preparing to move on to a new stage in life. I think we might need to get together more often.
Ways to serve Candied Jalapeños:
- As an appetizer with cream cheese, goat cheese or any other of your favorite cheeses.
- On burgers and Hot Dogs.
- Add to Avocado Egg Salad, chicken or tuna salad.
- Chop and add to 1000 Island Dressing for a spicy kick for salads or for as dip.
- Garnish Deviled Eggs with a few sprinkles.
- Add some syrup to Bourbon Basil Lemonade for an extra bold flavor.
Candied JalapeñosPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound fresh jalapeños
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Using food safe gloves and a sharp knife, slice Jalapeños into rounds. Set aside.
- To a medium size pot or dutch oven, add sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, celery seed and red pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, until sugar is completely melted.
- Add sliced jalapeños and stir. Bring mixture back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove peppers from pot and place into pint jars. Bring remaining liquid up to a boil to reduce mixture, cooking for approximately 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour syrup into jars, over the peppers and let cool. Cover with lid and store in refrigerator. Can be stored for up to three months.
**makes 2 pints
Pin this recipe HERE to save!
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Price: $15.04Was: $15.45