This post may contain affiliate links.
Finely chopped cabbage, tangy apple cider vinegar, sweetness from sugar, then pepper along with a dash of hot sauce make this one special dish that’s unique to our part of the country. Anyone who’s ever been to a North Carolina restaurant, shack or BBQ joint knows about red slaw.
If you’re looking for a match made in heaven, try making slaw for pulled pork! I’ve been making this red cabbage slaw for years to serve with one of my most requested recipes, Slow Cooker Pulled Pork, and I guarantee it’ll become your new favorite slaw recipe!
This BBQ Slaw brings back memories of wonderful food served in my great home state. A good red cabbage slaw recipe should be plain and simple deliciousness, nothing fancy, no need to add something extra…it’s a tradition that speaks for itself.
You can make cabbage slaw for pulled pork any time of year! While these dishes are most commonly served during the spring and summer at cookouts, BBQs, grill nights, and potlucks, you can make this southern classic recipe anytime you’re in the mood for good homemade barbeque.
Delicious Dishes To Serve With Red BBQ Slaw
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Three Ingredient Oven Beef Brisket
- Grilled Flank Steak
- Sheet Pan Brats & Potatoes
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- 4 cups cabbage – finely chopped
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- Place chopped cabbage in a large bowl.
- Whisk together ketchup, vinegar, sugar salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over cabbage and toss until well mixed.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve with pulled pork on rolls, ribs or BBQ chicken