This post may contain affiliate links.
A Carolina Slaw Dog is a classic hot dog recipe that deserves a spot on every summertime cookout menu. The star of the show is homemade coleslaw topping a perfectly cooked hot dog, with a few extras added in for a memorable bite that makes you feel like a kid again.
This hot dog is EVERYTHING. I loved them as a kid, and I still love them now. They are my absolute favorite way to eat a hot dog.
Of course, growing up I didn’t know they were a classic in the Carolina’s and honestly, I didn’t care. All I ever cared about was how they taste. And WOW, are they good!
What Is A Carolina Slaw Dog?
Every part of the country has its own version of how to serve the best hot dog. But around here, it’s the slaw dog. It’s really all about what you put on the hot dog that makes it so special:
- Hot Dogs and fresh buns (toasted or not, it’s your choice)
- Homemade creamy slaw
- Homemade chili – some folks call it a sauce because of the fine texture of the beef. I’ve included my recipe for hot dog chili, which has incredible flavor.
- Yellow mustard
- Chopped onions
Ingredients For Creamy Coleslaw
- Cabbage – grated or a store-bought mix
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
What’s The Best Way To Store Coleslaw
Since this recipe is made with mayonnaise, it should be stored covered in the refrigerator. It will keep for 3-5 days properly stored
How To Make The Best Carolina Slaw Dog
Who would believe that such simple things could come together to make something so incredible? It’s really not complicated or hard to make these tasty dogs.
- Make the Home Run Chili. While the chili simmers, make the Creamy Coleslaw and store it in the fridge.
- Cook the hot dogs on the grill, skillet, or in the air fryer.
- Grab a bun and cradle the hot dog in the middle.
- Drizzle over some yellow mustard, and sprinkle on a few onions.
- Spoon over the chili and top off the dog with slaw.
- DIG IN!
Can You Make These Hot Dogs Ahead Of Time?
The simple answer is yes, but, you need to plan things out. Here’s how to make Carolina Slaw Dogs ahead of time:
- Make the slaw, and store in the refrigerator, covered, until ready to serve.
- Chop the onions and store them in a container in the fridge.
- Make the chili, store it in the refrigerator, then reheat before serving.
Then, when it’s time, cook the hot dogs, and serve the slaw, onions, chili, and mustard.
What To Serve With Carolina Slaw Dogs
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Best Crock Pot Baked Beans
- BLT Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Air Fryer Corn On The Cob
- Home Run Hot Dog Chili
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
Craving More? Try These Easy Recipes
- Hamburger Steak With Onions And Mushrooms
- Meat Lovers Stuffed French Bread Pizzas
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Sliders
- Ultimate Instant Pulled Pork Nachos
- 1 14-ounce package coleslaw mix
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add coleslaw mix to a bowl along with the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix together until well blended.
- Store in the refrigerator covered until ready to serve.
I Love this coleslaw. I only had one problem.
I had no vinegar. So I used a teaspoon of kosher dill pickle juice and a little lemon juice. It is so good thank you! 🥬
Looks absolutely amazing can’t wait to try it
Hey there Shawna!
Thank you so much for your kind words of support and your phenomenal rating! I hope you enjoy the recipe, if you have any questions about this recipe, please feel free to reach out, I’d be more than happy to help!