Three-ingredient refrigerator pickles are super easy to make and pack a flavorful, crunchy bite that’s out of this world delicious! Whether served as a salad, a snack or added to your favorite sandwich or burger, this “no-canning” recipe is always a hit.
Most everybody growing up in the South has eaten these pickles at some time or another. They are cool & crispy with a punch of vinegary flavor. My mama, aunts, and grandmother had them on the table at almost every meal during the summer when I was a kid.
And now, whether it’s a weeknight meal, Sunday after church for lunch, or with a tomato sandwich, I just can’t think of anything better to have on the table. What a great taste of freshness!
Why You’ll Love Cucumber Onion Refrigerator Pickles!
- they are incredibly easy to make with just 3 ingredients.
- don’t require any special equipment for a no-canning recipe.
- have a zesty punch of flavor from apple cider vinegar.
- they are cool, crispy, and crunchy.
- these pickles are perfect for cookouts, picnics, covered dish supper, and snacking!
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Salt and Pepper
Tips For Making Refrigerator Pickles
Make sure to use fresh cucumbers. Kirby cucumbers (small with little bumps) are best but mini cukes work well, too. Select cucumbers that are firm with no blemishes.
Variations For This Recipe
Want to change this recipe up a bit? Try adding come of these flavors –
- red pepper flakes or cayenne for a spicy kick.
- fresh dill or oregano.
- toss in a few garden veggies like radishes or carrots.
How To Serve Cucumber and Onion Refrigerator Pickles
The list of ways to enjoy these pickles might just be endless! Here are some of my favorite ways to serve Cucumber Onion Refrigerator Pickles:
- as a side salad along with anything cooked on the grill. They are especially good with Marinated Grill Pork Tenderloin and BBQ Chicken Legs.
- pack them up for a picnic. Since the recipe does not have mayonnaise in it, it’s the perfect food to serve outdoors.
- pile them on top of your favorite burger for a burst of flavor. I like to layer them on a ham and cheese sandwich, too.
- my all-time, best ways ever to enjoy Cucumber Onion Pickles? Straight out of the bowl! YUM.
This easy-to-make recipe stores beautifully in the fridge. Make sure to use a jar with a lid or a covered bowl. The pickles should last about a week stored properly.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love!
- Fresh and Easy Caprese Pasta Salad
- Homemade Pimento Cheese
- Avocado Salsa
- Hamburger Hobo Dinner Foil Packs
Cucumber and Onion Refrigerator Pickles
- 6 – 8 Kirby or small cucumbers
- 2 small Vidalia or spring onions
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Slice cucumbers and onions thinly. Whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and pour over cucumbers and onions.
- Chill in the fridge for about an hour before serving. Store refrigerator pickled in covered bowl or jar with a lid in the fridge for up to a week.