Don’t you love it when a recipe does double and sometimes triple duty? If you do, then we are destined to be friends and I’ve got the perfect recipe for us to share…my Pickled Shrimp. In the south we really love these beauties from the sea so it’s no surprise that this recipe has become a staple in my kitchen. Whether I make a large amount for a party, serve as an appetizer for a small gathering, enjoy as a starter for a weeknight meal or spoon over crisp greens for lunch, this dish is always a hit.
The key to bringing out the best flavors of this dish is to make sure that the shrimp have marinated in the pickling brine for at least 24 hours and if you do have any leftovers, the longer they sit, the better they get! These briny, spicy pickled shrimp never last long in my house but will keep for about a week if they are covered with the oil. So, if you’ve never tried pickled shrimp, please do me a favor and give them a try…I promise, this is one southern dish that will soon become one of your favorites.
Whether I make a large amount for a party, serve as an appetizer for a small gathering, enjoy as a starter for a weeknight meal or spoon over crisp greens for lunch, this dish is always a hit.
- 2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and devained
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 lemon - sliced very thin
- 1/2 onion - sliced very thin
- In a large pot, bring 6 cups water and Old Bay seasoning to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes, until shrimp are pink. Remove shrimp and place in a bowl with ice water to cool. Drain shrimp when chilled.
- Add celery seed and coriander seed to a zip top bag and crush with a heavy object - I use a rolling pin. Place in a medium size bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, parsley, red pepper, salt, garlic and bay leaves. Stir, mixing well.
- In a glass jar or serving bowl, layer onions, shrimp and lemons. Pour pickling brine over layers. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator overnight until ready to serve.