This dip, salsa, salad or whatever you want to call it goes by many names! I call it by it’s traditional name – Southern Caviar and tend to serve it as an appetizer along with corn chips and fresh veggies. I recently came up with a new way to serve this spicy, crunchy, flavor packed mixture.
If you love to grill out here’s a way to take some of your food to new heights. Spoon a little Southern Caviar over your grilled chicken or fish and it’s great mixed in fresh greens. This dish is easy to make, is perfect for outdoor dining and screams of fresh summer flavors…
Dip, salsa, salad or caviar, no matter what you call it, it's a yummy side dish.
- 2 cans black-eyed peas - drained and rinsed
- 1 can whole kernel corn - drained (1 1/2 cup of frozen corn - thawed)
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel) - do not drain
- 1/2 cup fresh jalapeño peppers - minced
- 1/2 cup onion - minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of Italian dressing
- Juice of one lemon
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Refrigerate for minimum 1 hour allowing flavors to marry.