Fresh Tomato Relish is full of bright, sweet, and tangy flavors making it irresistible! Serve it as an appetizer with crunchy bread and cheese or as a dip with chips. It’s super versatile and makes the best topping for grilled burgers, sausages, chicken, and fish. This simple no-canning recipe made with fresh vegetables is the perfect “something extra” that tastes like summer in every bite.
There are just a few things in life, well, specifically food that I’m willing to argue over. One of them is tomatoes. And if you’ve ever picked a fresh tomato and tasted it while it was still warm then you know just how good they can be.
With all that passion behind my love for really good, fresh tomatoes come my desire to have delicious recipes featuring this beautiful fruit. And now, I can proudly say, I’ve got a winner with this recipe for Fresh Tomato Relish.
This Fresh Tomato Relish Is:
- Packed With Flavor – fresh tomatoes, sweet Vidalia onion, spicy jalapeño pepper, crisp parsley along with a blend of red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper are perfectly combined to showcase summer’s favorite fruit.
- Easy To Make – this relish is made with just 8 ingredients. No special equipment is needed, just a good knife, cutting board, bowl, measuring spoon, and wooden spoon for mixing. As a bonus, this recipe doesn’t require any cooking or canning.
- The BEST Homemade Condiment – Fresh Tomato Relish is good on just about anything!
What Is Tomato Relish Made Of?
- Fresh Tomatoes – use whatever size you like
- Vidalia or Sweet Onion
- Jalapeño Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Red Wine Vinegar
A Southern Soul Tip: when choosing a tomato, look for ones that do not have any dark spots or blemishes. The tomato should be firm and heavy for its size. Lastly, give it a little sniff! The tomato should have a fresh, bright aroma when you smell near the stem.
How To Make This Recipe
It’s super easy to make Tomato Relish and it comes together in about 15 minutes.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, onion, and parsley.
- Using a knife or spoon, remove the seeds and membrane from the jalapeño pepper then finely chop.
- Add all the chopped ingredients to a bowl.
- Measure and add the sugar, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything together. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to chill for one hour.
- After chilling, which allows the flavors to combine, put the relish into a pretty bowl and serve!
How Long Will Fresh Tomato Relish Last?
This fresh relish will keep about 2 weeks stored covered in the refrigerator. Before serving, give it a nice stir to blend any ingredients that might have settled.
What Do You Use Tomato Relish For?
Now, here’s where the fun comes in! After the first time, I made Tomato Relish, my mind went crazy thinking of all the ways I could serve it. Here are a few of my favorites:
- I love serving Fresh Tomato Relish as an appetizer. I toast some french bread slices (you can also buy them in the bakery department at the grocery store) and grab a wedge of good cheese. Place everything on a cutting board along with a bowl of the relish and dig in!
- Place spoonfuls on top of Air Fryer Hot Dogs along with a drizzle of mustard for an unexpected pop of flavor.
- Spoon over grilled Pork Tenderloin or Easy London Broil.
- Top off a bowl of Instant Pot Pinto Beans with Fresh Tomato Relish. You won’t believe how good the flavor combination is!
- I think this relish is the perfect condiment to serve alongside Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef, Herb Butter Roasted Chicken and Potatoes, or Smoked Pulled Pork.
More Fresh Recipes You’ll Love!
- Cucumber and Onion Refrigerator Pickles
- Super Simple Caprese Salad
- Pickled Corn and Red Onion
Last but not least…
If you make this Fresh Tomato Relish recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating. I always love hearing from you! Also, if you make it, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photo.
Fresh Tomato Relish
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Vidalia or sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeños pepper with the seed and membrane removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add all the ingredient to a medium-size bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Remove relish from refrigerator, stir and serve. Enjoy!