Are you looking for a new and delicious way to prepare brussels sprouts? Roasting these mini cabbages with just the right amount of Parmesan and a zesty hint of lemon is the perfect way to bring out their natural nuttiness and sweetness.
These roasted Brussels sprouts with parmesan and lemon are not only easy to make, but they are also packed with nutrients, making them a healthy and satisfying side dish for any meal. Whether you’re a die-hard Brussels sprouts fan or just looking for a new way to enjoy this nutritious vegetable, this recipe is sure to impress.
Why People Love This Recipe
There are so many reasons why people would love this oven-roasted Brussels sprouts recipe! For starters, it’s incredibly easy to make using just a baking sheet, some olive oil, and a few simple seasonings like salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Plus, it only takes 20-30 minutes to roast these delicious veggies to perfection, making them a quick and convenient side dish for any meal.
What sets this recipe apart, however, is the addition of balsamic vinegar. When combined with the olive oil and seasonings gives, the roasted sprouts a delicious tangy flavor that perfectly balances out their natural sweetness. Plus, when roasted at high heat, the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts turn bright green and crispy while the cut side becomes golden brown and caramelized.
Tips For Easy Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Choose fresh Brussels sprouts: For the best flavor and texture, choose fresh Brussels sprouts that are bright green and firm to the touch.
- Trim and halve the Brussels sprouts: Trim off the tough stems and remove any yellowed or damaged outer leaves. Then, cut the Brussels sprouts in half through the stem to create even-sized pieces.
- Use a large bowl: Toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and balsamic vinegar in a large bowl. This ensures that each sprout is evenly coated with the seasoning.
- Spread the Brussels sprouts out in a single layer: Spread the seasoned Brussels sprouts out in a single layer on a baking sheet. This helps to ensure that they roast evenly and become crispy on the outside.
- Roast at a high temperature: Roast the Brussels sprouts at a high temperature (around 425-450°F) for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This high heat will help to caramelize the sprouts and give them a nice crispy exterior.
- Check for doneness: When the Brussels sprouts are done, they should be tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. Use a fork to test their tenderness and adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Serve hot: These roasted Brussels sprouts are best served hot, straight out of the oven. Garnish with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese and fresh herbs, if desired, for an extra burst of flavor.
Commonly Asked Questions
While fresh Brussels sprouts are recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use frozen Brussels sprouts if fresh ones are not available. Just be sure to thaw them completely and pat them dry before roasting.
Absolutely! You can experiment with other seasonings such as paprika, cumin, or chili powder to add a different flavor profile to the dish.
The Brussels sprouts should be tender on the inside and crispy on the outside when they are done roasting. Use a fork to test their tenderness and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Yes, you can roast other vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, or onions along with the Brussels sprouts if you like.
While the Brussels sprouts are best served hot out of the oven, you can roast them ahead of time and reheat them in the oven before serving. However, they may not be as crispy as when they are freshly roasted.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Cut Brussel sprouts in half and remove any damaged outside leaves. Place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes and toss to coat. Place in oven and roast for about 20 to 25 minutes – shaking pan every 10 minutes – until edges are dark and crispy.
- Remove pan from oven. Drizzle on lemon juice and sprinkle over Parmesan cheese. Taste and add more salt if needed. Serve immediately.